1-9 Buckle Court

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1359060
Date first listed:
07-Apr-1983
Statutory Address:
1-9, BUCKLE COURT, RUDDOCK CLOSE, EDGWARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 1-9 Buckle Court
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359060 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 15:25:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
1-9, BUCKLE COURT, RUDDOCK CLOSE, EDGWARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Barnet (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ2019891329

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25/02/2014

TQ 29 SW 5/18 5004

EDGWARE, RUDDOCK CLOSE, 1-9 Buckle Court

(Formerly listed as St Roses Convent, ORANGE HILL ROAD)

II

Late C19 formerly known as Orange Hill House. Asymmetrically arranged larger house probably of late C19 date and shewing Tudor influence in design. Faced in red brick with stone dressings, with separate red tiled gable and hipped roofs to various elements at different levels. Principal part is 4 storeyed orieled tower rising to a belvedere this has 2 swept roof lantern above, finished with an ornate finial. Fenestration is generally mullioned and transomed. Ribbing to bold chimney stacks. Claude Grahame-White the pioneer aviationist lived here from 1912 to 1915, where he entertained, among others, Sarah Bernhardt, Caruso and Marconi.



Listing NGR: TQ2019891329

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
199024
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/14392/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Douglas Fairbank. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].