CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1359101
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
07-Apr-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, WOOD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359101 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 17:32:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, WOOD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Barnet (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 24557 96463

Details

1. 5004 WOOD STREET (north side)

Church of St John the Baptist TQ 2496 10/25 1.2.50 (Formerly listed as Parish Church of Chipping Barnet) II* GV

2. Altered extensively in circa 1873-5 by William Butterfield, the Church incorporates the mid C15 building as its double north aisle. Flint with stone dressings in bands and chequerwork. Imposing west tower. Timber fleche by Traylen. Interior plastered. Nave roof double framed collar-braced with closely spaced scissor-braced rafters. Roof to C15 building shows a flat panelled ceiling. Font cover, altar and reredos of stone and Purbeck marble by Butterfield (1880-82). Elaborately carved pulpit and unique set of carved pew-ends by Traylen. Organ by Hill circa 1876. Ravenscroft Chapel in south aisle contains fine C17 alabaster effigy of Thomas Ravenscroft, a local benefactor. Glass in north and south aisles by Henry Holiday in good Arts and Crafts manner circa 1887-89.

Listing NGR: TQ2455296465

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
199161
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01071/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sidney Ray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].