Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359133.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-May-2021 at 16:36:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
City and County of the City of London (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31719 81037


TQ 3181 SE 8/199

BLACK FRIARS LANE EC4 (East Side) Nos 10 to 18 (consec) (Apothecaries Hall)


I Mainly 1670 and 1786, incorporating slight medieval remains of Blackfriars' Priory. Courtyard building with main C17 ranges, of two storeys, to north and east. South and west ranges, of three storeys, mostly late C18. Plain front of pink/yellow brick with stuccoed ground storey and painted entablature etc. Slated roof. Fine central archway of late C17 character. Some red brick dressings etc at either end and two secondary entrances. Plain, altered south return with central loop hole. Irregular rear with low building of yellow brick to south-east, probably late C18 or early C19. Elevations to courtyard entirely stuccoed with parapet to slated roof.

Hall on first floor of east side with central clock, pediment and coat of arms etc and external stair in south-east corner. Ground storey of north range formerly an open colonnade. Rear of entrance archway has late C18 pediment etc. The hall contains plain original panelling and fine, carved woodwork at either end. Large cornice to ceiling which was probably remade in C19. Plain panelling in Court Room also original and large main staircase which has lost some of its enclosing walls. Narrow, panelled room over colonnade. In the courtyard is an early C19 large lamp with wrought iron support and painted stone pedestal. Scheduled AM.

Listing NGR: TQ3173781054


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08901/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Manekshaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].