10 FLEET STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1359157
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1977
Statutory Address:
10, FLEET STREET EC4

Map

Ordnance survey map of 10 FLEET STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359157 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 04:13:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
10, FLEET STREET EC4

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City and County of the City of London (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31157 81105

Details

TQ 3181 SW 7/N/1 7/1

FLEET STREET EC4 (South Side) No. 10

Offices 1885, by R.W Edis. Pink brick and terracotta.

Four storeys and attic. Five bays that on the right wider than the others and with a canted oriel bay window running through first and second storeys. Ground floor channelled and containing three semi-circular headed window openings and lower doorway with bearded mask to keystone; pulvinated frieze and dentil cornice at first floor level. Mullion and transom windows to upper floors, first floor with triangular pediments, second floor with open scroll pediments. Swagged Ionic pilasters at third floor supporting rich entablature. Balustraded parapet broken by triangular gable with inset window. Slated mansard roof and dormers. Passage to right with wrought iron gate and overthrow with the Middle Temple: Angus Dei, 1905, ADT.

Interior: decorative plasterwork and staircases with wrought-iron balustrades.

Subsidiary features: rear wing leads into building to left, facing Middle Temple Lane and formerly part of No.15 Fleet Street. Built 1859-60 as Rainbow Tavern by Rawlinson Parkinson. Stucco front to Middle Temple Lane: Four-storey, three bay front articulated by Tuscan pilasters and rusticated quoin strips.

Interior: Former "coffee room", now library, on ground floor has fine plaster ceiling by H. Parsons, divided into sunken panels and lavishly executed with foliage and swags of fruit. Includes rear block facing Middle Temple Lane (west side).

Listing NGR: TQ3115881103

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
199452
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].