2 DRINKING FOUNTAINS, 3 OVERTHROWS AND LANTERNS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1359170
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1977
Statutory Address:
2 DRINKING FOUNTAINS, 3 OVERTHROWS AND LANTERNS, BISHOPSGATE CHURCHYARD EC2

Map

Ordnance survey map of 2 DRINKING FOUNTAINS, 3 OVERTHROWS AND LANTERNS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359170 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2019 at 09:45:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
2 DRINKING FOUNTAINS, 3 OVERTHROWS AND LANTERNS, BISHOPSGATE CHURCHYARD EC2

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City and County of the City of London (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 33214 81477

Details

1. 5002 BISHOPSGATE CHURCHYARD EC2

2 Drinking Fountains 3 overthrows and Lanterns TQ 3381 SW 11/N/20

II

2. Drinking Fountain 1866; 2 stone piers flanking entrance to churchyard from Bishopsgate. Stone with pink granite bands and bowls beneath niches decorated with masks. Brass fittings. south fountain reads "The Gift of the Churchwardens 1866" on side elevation. North fountain reads "The Gift of C Gilpin Esq MP. 1866". Overthrow and Lanterns. Late C19 wrought iron barbed overthrows and railings embracing Windsor lanterns. Westernmost overthrow incomplete with arm and lantern missing.

Listing NGR: TQ3321481477

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
199322
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/00720/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jim Buckley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].