This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1359193



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City and County of the City of London

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 199607

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LOWER THAMES STREET EC3 1. 5002 (South Side) Custom House TQ 3380 NW 17/472 5.6.72.


2. 1813 to 17 by David Laing. Centre of river front rebuilt in 1825 by Robert Smirke. East end rebuilt after World War II with alterations to basements etc. Very large neo classical building of Portland stone with street front of yellow brick and stone dressings. Granite basement to Smirke's rebuilding. 3 main storeys plus basement and attic. 3 Ionic porticos of 6 columns to river, outer ones engaged. Straight entablatures, segmentally arched windows to partly channelled ground storey. Some 1st floor windows corniced. Balustrade in front of part of attic. Simple returns. Recessed centre of plain street front has order of 8 Doric pilasters above channelled ground storey with triple entrance. 3 lamps on iron brackets and carved royal arms above. Plain area railings. Interior very simple except for large, severe Long Room by Smirke: order of Doric pilasters on pedestals and semi-elliptical, panelled ceiling: corniced doors and windows.

Listing NGR: TQ3317280611

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 33172 80611


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359193 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 09:11:03.

End of official listing