FORMER OFFICES OF THE BRIDEWELL HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1359214

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Sep-1997

Statutory Address: 9, BRIDEWELL PLACE EC4

Statutory Address: FORMER OFFICES OF THE BRIDEWELL HOSPITAL, 14, NEW BRIDGE STREET EC4

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER OFFICES OF THE BRIDEWELL HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359214 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 00:25:50.

Location

Statutory Address: 9, BRIDEWELL PLACE EC4

Statutory Address: FORMER OFFICES OF THE BRIDEWELL HOSPITAL, 14, NEW BRIDGE STREET EC4

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City and County of the City of London (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 31628 81042

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3181 SE NEW BRIDGE STREET, EC4 (West side) 627-0/8/174 No.14 (former offices of the Bridewell Hospital)

GV 04/01/50 II*

Circa 1805, by James Lewis. Classical front in Portland stone. 3 storeys. 3 windows. Channelled ground storey with 3, arched openings. Order of Doric pilasters through 2 storeys above supporting pediment with coat of arms in tympanum. Dressings to 1st and 2nd storey windows. Railings and lamp standards to front area. Irregular rear elevation of 2 storeys. Yellow brick with slight stone dressings. INTERIOR: wrought-iron gates lead into a barrel-vaulted passage which originally gave access to a courtyard behind. On either side are doorways with ornamental fanlights. The passage is lit by a lantern supported by a bracket spanning the gap between the two doors. The right-hand doorway leads into a hall with an elegant cantilevered staircase, and the front room on this side has a marble fireplace with inset 'cameos'. The left- hand doorway leads into a self-contained unit comprising two ground floor and two basement rooms, the ground floor front room having a barrel vaulted-ceiling. Some delicate, plaster cornices and plain, early- C19 fireplaces survive in first and ground floor rooms.



Listing NGR: TQ3161381025

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 199660

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing