CHAPEL OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1359293

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF ST JAMES, ROMAN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359293 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 21:56:45.

Location

Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF ST JAMES, ROMAN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland (District Authority)

Parish: Moulton

National Grid Reference: TF 29348 18231

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MOULTON ROMAN ROAD TF 21 NE Moulton Chapel (south side)

11/113 Chapel of St James (formerly listed as Church of St James) 7.2.67 II*

Chapel of Ease. 1722, by William Sands Senior, of Spalding; 1886. Red brick with limestone ashlar dressings. Octagonal slate roof over nave with lead, pyramidal finial; slate polygonal chancel roof. Moulded brick eaves. Octagonal nave of 1722 with polygonal chancel and north vestry of 1886 attached to east. Ashlar dressed plinth. 7 exposed sides of nave each defined by giant order pilasters with ashlar capitals and bases. Ashlar dressed west doorway with semi-circular head, moulded architrave and imposts, panelled fanlight and double panelled doors. Large scrolled cartouche above with palms and inscribed: " P A 52 DEO PFSS ECCLESIAE ANGLICANAE EVI REE REST IfD ASH MDCCXXII'. Doorway flanked by single blind openings with semi- circular headed ashlar architraves and imposts. Beyond, on each side, are 2 windows with similar architraves, semi-circular heads and leaded lights. To the east, on the north side is a vestry of 1886, with a west doorway with ashlar lintel and plank door. North side flanked by giant order ashlar dressed pilasters, and with small semi-circular headed window with ashlar architrave and imposts. Eastern apse of 1886 with giant order pilasters and 3 similar windows. Interior C19 chancel arch with basket arch supported on pilasters. Curved west gallery of 1722 with fielded panelling and fluted pilasters, and supported on slender columns. Large C20 rood screen in the Classical style. Domed ceiling over nave defined with foliate and daisy painted band. C18 white and grey marble font on tall panelled tapering pedestal with clawed feet, fluted bowl with small volutes, ornate ogee wooden hood. C19 pews, communion rail, etc. C18 pine benches in the west gallery.

Listing NGR: TF2934818231

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 198075

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing