Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1359324

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1955



Ordnance survey map of BROMLEY COLLEGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359324 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 04:11:41.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Bromley (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 40022 69573


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. HIGH STREET, BROMLEY 4407 (North East Side) ----------------- Bromley College TQ 46 NW 5/39 10.1.55


2. A tablet on the building records that:- "This College for twenty Poore Widowes (of orthodoxe and loyall clergymen) and a Chaplain was given by John Warner Late Lord Bishop of Rochester 1666". The building consists of 2 courtyards of red brick. The west courtyard dates from 1670 onwards. Its main front faces west. It consists of a central portion and 2 advanced wings forming the Chaplain's and the Treasurer's houses. 2 storeys, semi- basement and attaic. The centre has 12 windows and 12 gabled dormers, the wings 2 windows and 1 dormer each. Brick stringcourse. Wooden modillion eaves cornice. Tiled roof. Buttresses support the front between the windows. Casement windows with wooden mullions and transomes. Wide central gateway up 5 steps with iron handrail. Rusticated round-headed stone archway with engaged Doric columns, curved pediment and cartouche of the arms of John Warner, Bishop of Rochester. The south front of this courtyard has 16 windows and 10 dormers. The inner face of this side of the courtyard and of the north side opposite have doorways in moulded architrave surrounds with heavy pediment shaped hoods over, and on each side of these a round window with a round-headed window over it. In the centre of the east front of the courtyard is the Chapel which projects into the east courtyard. This was contemporary with the foundation but was rebuilt by Waring and Blake in Decorated style in 1863. The east courtyard is a replica of the west one but without the buttresses. It was built in 1794-1805 with money left by William Pearce, brother of Dr Zachary Pearce, Bishop of Rochester, and by Mrs Bettinson in 1782 and 1788 respectively to provide 20 more houses for the same purpose.

Listing NGR: TQ4002269574


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 358473

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing