CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1359365

Date first listed: 12-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359365 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 08:47:58.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven (District Authority)

Parish: Scopwick

National Grid Reference: TF 08501 57780

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SCOPWICK CHURCH LANE KIRKBY GREEN TF 05 NE (east side) 5/35 Church of the Holy Cross

- II

Parish church. 1848. Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate roof, with coped gables and kneelers. Nave and chancel under a single roof, with western porch and bellcote. Chamfered plinth, cill band and eaves band. Buttresses with set-offs. Single storey 5 bays. West front has gabled porch with diagonal buttresses. Pointed arched doorway in double arched surround, with plain chamfered inner arch, and moulded chamfered outer arch, supported on shafts and plain capitals with hood mould and label stops. Above a single trefoil window in a trilobed surround. Surmounted on the gable is a single gabled bellcote. The north and south walls are identical with 5 pointed lancet windows in chamfered surrounds with hoodmoulds and label stops. The east front, reputedly an accurate copy of its medieval predecessor, has a pair of pointed lancets in chamfered inner surrounds, with deeply moulded outer arches supported on shafts with moulded capitals. The central pair of shafts are ringed. Above is a mandala-shaped window in a plain chamfered suround. Interior.: Plain chamfered chancel arch with octagonal responds. A twin arched piscina, with a reused C12 octagonal shaft with plain capital. Western gallery containing organ, and a wall tablet to Richard T Welby 1856. C19 wooden pews, pulpit and roofs. Octagonal font.

Listing NGR: TF0850157780

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 358306

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing