Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359384.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2021 at 14:16:27.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North West Leicestershire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 46808 28165


LOCKINGTON-HEMINGTON MAIN STREET SK 42 NE (Lockington) 3/156 Lockington Hall 7.12.62 - II

Former mansion, converted to offices 1973-4. Original H-plan block built 1688 for Bainbrigge family. Remodelled 1797-1804 for Rev Philip Storey, who added second floor and Tuscan colonnade, rendered facades and altered fenestration. Further alterations 1872 when extensive service wings were added to west. Render with stone dressings, hipped slate roofs and rendered chimneys. 3 storeys; 7 x 5 bays. Chamfered quoins and plinth, moulded first floor band course, moulded main cornice with dentils at second floor level, another moulded cornice with balustraded parapet above. C19 sash windows, only those to top storey with glazing bars, all with raised stone surrounds and keyblocks. First floor windows have moulded architrave surrounds. 7-bay EAST FRONT has recessed centre of 3 bays, with steps up to c1800 portico of paired Tuscan columns. Portico has moulded cornice and contemporary decorative iron railings to balcony above. All balcony windows are full height. Central double half-glazed doors with large rectangular fanlight, eared architrave surround, flanking panelled pilasters, and flanking half-piers. Fanlight has ornamental cast iron glazing bars. NORTH FRONT: of 5 bays, has slightly advanced centre bay with segmental pediment over first floor window, and large porte-cochere of 1872. Port-cochere is ashlar and arcaded, with balustraded parapet. To right is ashlar front of 1872 service wing. This is of 2 storeys and has flanking pedimented projections with bay windows to ground floor and pedimented surrounds to upper windows. Remainder of wing has sashes. SOUTH FRONT: has 2 rectangular bay windows of 1872, and service wing to right, also ashlar faced. Part of wing is advanced, and has blind arched doorway with pedimented surround in return gable. Service wings have red brick end and rear walls, and white brick walls to inner court. INTERIOR: late C17 staircase in upper storeys of south wing, with good turned balusters, moulded handrail, and 2 knob finials to newels; large main staircase is late C19 in late C17 style; large room on first floor of south wing with fine plaster ceiling of c1800; contemporary fireplace of green and white marble with carved foxes on central panel in room below; bolection-moulded marble fireplace in entrance hall; other rooms with early and late C19 moulded ceiling cornices. (N Pevsner and E Williamson, Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, 1984, p.277).

Listing NGR: SK4680828165


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 277


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13362/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Graham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].