Former Baptist Chapel


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Diseworth Heritage Centre, Lady Gate, Diseworth, DE74 2QF


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359389.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2021 at 17:29:17.


Statutory Address:
Diseworth Heritage Centre, Lady Gate, Diseworth, DE74 2QF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North West Leicestershire (District Authority)
Long Whatton and Diseworth
National Grid Reference:
SK 45326 24399


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11 November 2019.

SK 4424-4524 12/185

LONG WHATTON Diseworth Lady Gate Former Baptist Chapel

(Formerly listed as Baptist Chapel, LADY GATE (Diseworth), LONG WHATTON)


Former Baptist chapel. Said to have been erected 1752 (Diseworth Local History Society), but may only date back to founding of local Baptist Church 1773. Extended 1824 to provide two-storey school room. Further alterations 1875, 1928 and 1944. Brick on rendered plinth, the front and right gable roughcast and colourwashed. Dentil eaves, slate roofs, the front pitch of chapel with Swithland slates. Front has two cross casements in raised and painted stone surrounds with keyblocks. Leaded glazing of c1875, each lower light with an ogee arch.

Central blocked door with painted stone head, label and keyblock, and frieze inscribed "BAPTIST CHAPEL". To right is extension of 1824, with C20 wooden casement to ground floor, older three-light wooden casement above, and wide board door to left. Later lean-to to far right. Rear has similar fenestration to front, the chapel windows in altered brick surrounds. Left gable has band course at eaves level, broken by two tall arched lights with leaded glazing.

Plain interior with late C19-early C20 fittings. Between chapel and school rooms there are hatches at ground floor level, and early C19 sliding panelled shutters and wooden stick balusters at upper level.

Listing NGR: SK4532624399


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15285/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ray Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].