RUINS OF LESNES ABBEY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1359415

Date first listed: 20-May-1953

Statutory Address: RUINS OF LESNES ABBEY, ABBEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of RUINS OF LESNES ABBEY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359415 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 15:19:30.

Location

Statutory Address: RUINS OF LESNES ABBEY, ABBEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Bexley (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 47925 78765

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ABBEY ROAD 1. 5005 Abbey Wood TQ 47 NE 2/1 20.5.55. Ruins of Lesnes Abbey II 2. The Abbey of St Mary and St Thomas the Martyr was founded by Richard de Lucy, Chief Justiciar of England, for Augustinian Canons in 1178. It was suppressed by Cardinal Wolsey in 1524. The mansion into which the building was subsequently converted was demolished in 1844. The ruins were excavated by the Woolwich Antiquarian Society in 1909, and up to 1930 by Sir Alfred Clapham; to 1939-51 by E C Elliston Erwood for the London County Council who then owned them. Ruins consist of the footings of walls and in some places portions of wall up to approximately 8 feet high, of Kentish ragstone, flint and chalk, and consist of the remains of the abbey church and the monastic buildings to the north. There is one pointed stone doorway and several lancet windows. Scheduled as an Ancient monument.

Listing NGR: TQ4792578765

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 198632

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing