OLD SCHOOL, WALL, GATE PIERS AND GATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1359467
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1985
Statutory Address:
OLD SCHOOL, WALL, GATE PIERS AND GATE, MIDDLE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD SCHOOL, WALL, GATE PIERS AND GATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359467.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Nov-2019 at 22:19:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD SCHOOL, WALL, GATE PIERS AND GATE, MIDDLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Burton
National Grid Reference:
SK 96050 74610

Details

SK 97 SE BURTON MIDDLE STREET

9/24 Old School, wall, gate piers and gate

II

School, now village hall. 1897 with addition of 1919. Coursed rockfaced limestone with yellow brick dressings and slate roof with sprocketed eaves and raised stone coped gables, one octagonal stone wall stack. Single storey, 3 bay front, central chimney bay slightly advanced with string course and above 3 steps to a chimney at gable. Central 1914-18 war memorial in Portland stone, flanked by single 4 light glazing bar casements with brick dressings to eaves. In the central gable a rectangular stone plaque bearing the Monson arms and the date 1897. Before the building is a low limestone rubble wall with wedge shaped coping having a central gateway, flanked by low square piers bearing seated lions with shields of arms. The gates are of wrought iron with decorative top rails and spear head terminals.

Listing NGR: SK9605074610

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 20 July 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196988
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 20 July 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/48917

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05611/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robin W. Symons. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].