KETTLETHORPE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1359468

Date first listed: 20-Mar-1985

Statutory Address: KETTLETHORPE HALL, HALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of KETTLETHORPE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359468 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 08:28:13.

Location

Statutory Address: KETTLETHORPE HALL, HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Kettlethorpe

National Grid Reference: SK 84830 75602

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 87 NW KETTLETHORPE HALL LANE

2/41 Kettlethorpe Hall 20-3-85 G.V. II

Small country house. Early C18 incorporating earlier masonry, with extensive alterations and addition of c.1863. Red brick with ashlar dressings, coursed limestone rubble, hipped slate roof with gabled central projecting bay and 4 brick wall stacks. The 5 bay 2 storey brick front is arranged 2:1:2, the central bay being slightly advanced. It has a brick plinth with a stone coping and the right hand end has ashlar quoins. The central door is covered by a C19 pedimented porch with Ionic pilasters and plain casement side lights. To the left is a single C19 2 light sash with beyond a blocked opening and to right 2 similar windows. To first floor are 4 two light sashes with a blocked opening to the left. In the bargeboarded gable is a carved coat of arms with escutcheon, to the Amcotts family. All openings have segmental brick heads. To the right of the front is a 2 storey single bay, late C19, brick lean-to. At the rear are 2 areas of coursed limestone rubble being part of the earlier house. Interior. The drawing room has a high ceiling with light delicate plasterwork with Adam bows and scrolls. The dining room has early C18 full height panelling with dado rail, dentillated frieze and arched alcoves to either side of the fireplace with keystone, pilasters, a pulvinated frieze and cornice over. The late C18 fireplace is in pink marble with urn and fluted pilasters. In the rear hall are 2 semi-circular archways, with carved faces on the impost blocks. The rear stair has turned and knopped balusters in early C18 style, with carved string and panelled side wall. The rear sitting room has re-used C17 wainscotting, C18 panelling on the window wall and a C18 eared fireplace surround. A first floor bedroom is panel led to dado height and has a late C18 Adam stylefireplace. The medieval house on this site was the home of Katherine Swynford, wife of John of Gaunt. The early C18 house was built by the M.P. Charles Hall who succeeded to the house in 1713. It then passed to the Amcotts family, and a copy of the design for the marble fireplace in the dining room is held in Victoria and Albert Museum, inscribed for Charles Amcotts.

Listing NGR: SK8483075602

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 197004

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing