CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359500.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2021 at 01:06:48.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Lindsey (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 11939 69367
BARDNEY CHURCH LANE
Tf 16 NW
6/8 Church of
Parish church. c.1434-end C15, late C17, restored 1873-9. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar, red brick. Plain tiled roofs with stone coped gables and C19 cross finials. Some pantiles. West tower, nave with north and south aisles with north porch, rectangular chancel. Late C15 west tower with plinth, 2 richly moulded lower string courses and 3 stage diagonal buttresses. West doorway with pointed, moulded head, partly restored in C19, broad chamfered jambs, hood mould running into upper string course and plank doors. Large pointed window above with incipient bowtell moulded surround, 3 cusped lights with vertical tracery above. South side with slit stair turret lights and clock. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each with pointed head, 2 pointed, cusped lights, vertical tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Angular shaft rises between the 2 lights of each bell opening, rising to base of central pinnacle. Moulded eaves with large projecting corner gargoyles. Battlements above and 8 ornate pinnacles. Mid-late C15 north aisle with plinth, moulded string course and regularly placed 2 stage buttresses. West window with four centred head, 3 pointed, cusped lights, incipient bowtell moulded surround and hood mould. North side with C17 porch to west with coped gabled pantile roof with kneelers, doorway with shallow pointed head and raised keystone. Porch interior flanked by benches. C15 inner doorway with four centred moulded head, moulded jambs, plank door and hood mould. 3 windows to east, all with four centred heads, 3 pointed, cusped lights, incipient bowtell moulded surrounds and hood moulds. East end of north aisle with similar window. Moulded eaves above. Brick chancel of c.1434. Small pointed window to west with rectangular moulded brick surround and brick hood mould. Large ashlar dressed window to east with four centred head, 3 round headed lights and hood mould. Pointed doorway to east with rectangular brick moulded surround, brick hood mould and plank door. 2 stage buttress to east with ashlar set-offs and ashlar string course continuing to east. Brick moulded eaves above. East end with diagonal 2 stage buttresses with ashlar set-offs. Ashlar string course. Large ashlar dressed window with four centred head, 5 narrow lights with triangular heads, vertical tracery with some crenellated detailing and hood mould. Brick diamond panel containing quatrefoil in apex of moulded-brick gable. Ashlar string course continues round south side of chancel. South side with ashlar dressed window with four centred head, 3 round headed lights and hood mould. Ashlar dressed 2 stage buttress to west with small ashler dressed window beyond with shallow pointed head containing 2 pointed lights with central mullions above and hoodmould. Mid-late C15 south aisle with moulded plinth and string course. East window with four centred head, 3 pointed, cusped lights, incipient bowtell moulded surround and hood mould. 3 similar windows on south side with doorway to west flanked by remnants of earlier porch. Doorway with centred head, moulded surround in one, hood mould and plank door. Window beyond with four centred head, 3 pointed cusped lights, incipient bowtell moulded surround and hood mould. Similar window in west front of aisle. Moulded ashler eaves. Tall, pointed, double chamfered late C15 interior tower arch, the inner order supported on polygonal responds with moulded polygonal capitals and broached plinths. Tall, 5 bay late C15 north and south arcades with double chamfered, pointed heads, octagonal piers, moulded octagonal capitals and tall broached plinths. Tall late C15 chancel arch with pointed double chamfered head, polygonal responds, moulded polygonal capitals and broached plinths. Chancel with murals of 1935. C19 tie beam roofs, with some crenellated decoration and rosettes, re-using C15 timbers. Ornate C19 reredos with Virgin and Child flanked by saints, all under canopies. C15 pointed piscina in south wall of chancel with double rolled head and small basin. C14 standing figure with C20 head, originally from Bardney Abbey. Large incised slab to Abbot Richard Horncastle, died 1508, with shield and inscription, with canopy above with crocketed pinnacles. 3 C17 and early C18 painted wooden panels recording charitable gifts of John and Joseph Knowles, William Hurltcroft, Thomas Kitching, John Burrington, William Norman and John Lightfoot, amongst others, including several portraits of donors. C20 font with quatrefoiled panels. C19 polygonal pulpit. C19 lecturn. C20 choir stalls. Several architectural fragments from Bardney Abbey, including 2 sections of C13 rib vault with 3 rolls re-used as piscinas in C20. Fragment of C13 crossing of moulded rib vault.
Listing NGR: TF1193669366
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing