Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359515.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 04:33:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 17023 87122



3/29 Church of All Saints 1.11.66 II

Parish church. Late C13, 1869 and 1875 restoration and rebuilding by James Fowler of Louth in the Early English style. Greenstone squared rubble and rock faced, with ashlar dressings, slate roofs. Western tower, nave, chancel with apsidal east end, south porch. The 3 stage tower in squared rubble has presumably medieval fabric, but all openings and dressings are from 1875. Plinth, 3 string courses, ashlar parapet with corner pinnacles and winged beasts. Corner gabled buttresses rise to top of second stage. The west window is a single lancet with hood mould having leafy stops. Above is a plain chamfered rectangular opening. The triple belfry pointed lights to each face have detached annular shafts and hood moulds. The rock faced C19 nave has 3 single chamfered lancets to the north face, divided by buttresses. The apsidal end has 3 similar windows to each face. At the west end of the roof are 3 cast iron decorative panels to the ridge, terminating in an iron cross fleury. The south side of the nave has 2 pairs of lancets with common sills. The gabled south porch has a deeply moulded C19 outer doorway with floriate stops and carving to the top of the chamfered sides and single pointed side lights. The inner doorway is in a moulded pointed opening dying to reveals and the plain door has contemporary decorative hinges. Interior. The C19 tower arch is single chamfered with keeled responds and has an outer roll supported on engaged shafts, and a hood mould with floriate stops. In the north wall of the nave is preserved the late C13 3 bay arcade to a now vanished north aisle with double chamfered arches, octagonal columns and capitals. Nave and apsidal sanctuary are undivided but the sanctuary is marked by a large stone corbel in the form of shield bearing angel to either side of nave, each supporting 4 annular wooden shafts with carved leaf capitals which bear a pointed timber box arch having pierced decoration of alternate lancet and quatrefoil panels. All windows have engaged annular shafts and moulded heads. Surmounting the nave wall is a timber frieze of pierced lancets which continues around the apse with pierced quatrefoil decoration. The nave roof is scissor braced with diagonal boarding over the apse, the rafters radiate from a circular centrepiece. Fittings are all C19 including stone pulpit with blank arcaded panels, dogtooth decoration and integral lectern. Circular C19 chalice shaped font, decorated with 4 roundels depicting scenes from the life of Christ. In the east window is a small panel of German C17 stained glass.

Listing NGR: TF1702387122


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05658/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].