1, SHEEP MARKET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1359545
Date first listed:
29-Dec-1950
Statutory Address:
1, SHEEP MARKET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 1, SHEEP MARKET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359545 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 06:11:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
1, SHEEP MARKET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Holland (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TF2464422707

Details

SHEEP MARKET 1. 5313 (South East Side) No 1 TF 2421 1/114 29.12.50. II* GV

2. Circa 1230 in origins. A small building of brick and stone, with almost entirely C19 exterior appearance, except for rounded shape. A hipped slate roof. Interior consists of a single vaulted room on ground floor with 8 concentric arches with chamfered wood beams. A spiral stone staircase in the wall leads to an upper roof of similar proportions but without vaulting. Windows are, in both rooms, of C19 date, the building having served as a house for a blacksmith. Formerly it was part of the Priory, and is said to have been a lock-up for the monks. The present name of the 'Prior's Oven' is derived from its shape, and has no bearing on its former use.

Forms a group with Nos 15 to 17 (consec) Hall Place which are local interest buildings.

Listing NGR: TF2464422707

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
197353
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12763/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].