This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

99, CHAPEL MARKET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 99, CHAPEL MARKET

List entry Number: 1359561

Location

99, CHAPEL MARKET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Islington

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Mar-2002

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 488501

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



635-1/0/10137 CHAPEL MARKET 07-MAR-02 99

II



99 CHAPEL MARKET.

Former fire engine house, now shop. 1792, heightened in 1822, mid-Victorian shop front. Yellow stock brick, York stone coping. Single room-plan with large arched opening to Chapel Market, now blocked and filled with a modern door. Blocked window openings to each face with gauged brick arches. Later Victorian shop addition, altered, of lesser interest. Interior: devoid of features of note. History: this structure was erected in 1792 as a fire engine house, built by the parish of St James, Clerkenwell (order for construction was issued by the Vestry in March 1792). It was built to serve the growing development of Pentonville, in which this building stands. The top floor was added in 1822. Listed as an extremely rare surviving example of a Georgian fire engine house. Source: English Heritage, Survey of London research notes on parish of St James Clerkenwell.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31101 83286

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359561 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 02:26:36.

End of official listing