FORMER WORCESTER EYE HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1359568

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jun-2001

Statutory Address: FORMER WORCESTER EYE HOSPITAL, BARBOURNE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER WORCESTER EYE HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359568 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 20:00:48.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER WORCESTER EYE HOSPITAL, BARBOURNE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Worcester (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SO 84607 56073

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WORCESTER

SO8456SE BARBOURNE ROAD 620-1/6/33 (West side) 05/04/71 Former Worcester Eye Hospital (Formerly Listed as: BARBOURNE ROAD (West side) Worcester City and County Eye Hospital)

GV II

House, was hospital. c1780 with later additions and alterations including wing to right-return. Red brick with stone and painted stucco dressings and slate pitched roof with parapeted gables. End stacks to main range, one with oversailing details and pots. Lead and timber porch. Main range of 3-storeys, 5 (2:1:2) first-floor windows, with 2-storey, four-window range at right. Stone and stucco detailing includes plinth, plain frieze, moulded cornice and blocking course, window sills, Tuscan-style porch. Ground- and first-floors have 6/6 sashes throughout, 3/3 sashes to second-floor, all in plain reveals with sills and flat gauged brick arches. Main range has recessed paired entrance doors, lower panels flush-beaded, upper panels raised and fielded to right, glazed to left, all under double-width fanlight in petal design, moulded architrave with corner paterae; stoneflagged threshold. Wing has central entrance, part-glazed C20door with multi-pane overlight, flat gauged brick arch over. Further entrance at the extreme right, 6-panel door, bead and reel moulding to arrisses of architrave, open corner porch, tented roof cantilevered on large brackets; crowning low parapet. INTERIOR: main wing retains many original details including open-well staircase with wreathed handrail and slender turned balusters; some panelled doors, panelled window shutters, architraves, skirtings, dado, and picture rails; plaster cornices, many enriched, some with modillions; several fireplaces, some with marble surrounds and cast-iron hob grates. HISTORICAL NOTE: shown as Thornloe House on 1886 OS Map; between 1940-1995 it was the City and County Eye Hospital. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Worcestershire: Harmondsworth: 1968-1985: 334; Gwilliam HW: Old Worcester: 1977-: 58,59).



Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 488507

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 334

End of official listing