296, BRIXTON HILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1359569
Date first listed:
15-Mar-2002
Statutory Address:
296, BRIXTON HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of 296, BRIXTON HILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359569 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 05:33:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
296, BRIXTON HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lambeth (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30425 73529

Details

963/0/10117

BRIXTON HILL 296

15-MAR-02

II

Purpose-built butcher's premises with living accommodation over, later dentists premises. Built in 1891 as part of a shopping parade. Red brick. Three storeys and attics, one sash without glazing bars. EXTERIOR: Gable ended with kneelers to attic window. First floor window has tripartite window with cambered relieving arch with keystone. First floor has tripartite window with pilasters, central pediment and ogee decoration to flat arches. Shopfront has highly decorated console brackets embellished with a floral motif supported on brown marble pilasters. Original hardwood shopfront with tiled stallriser, the top lights of fluted glass with the lettering Beef Pork Butcher. Either side of the central shopwindow are two pairs of tall double-leaf doors with long rectangular glazed panels (with bevelled glass edges) above shorter raised and fielded solid panels. Above the doors are ventilation grill top lights with scalloped pattern. Both doors set in recesses, the outer cheeks having finely crafted hardwood panelling. Awning apparatus with blind concealed within the fascia. The original fascia board may survive below the late C20 fascia.

INTERIOR: Shop walls are lined from floor to ceiling with four different types of marble. A cream marble dado runs around the perimeter with white veined marble panels above set between brown veined marble pilasters. On these pilasters survive the original ornate meat hanging brackets complete with pulley device. Below the dado are red/brown veined marble panels set within white marble surround mounted above the grey marble skirting board. Painted wood ceiling with moulding and beading. At the rear of the shop is a varnished timber screen forming the pay counter with glazed panels of fluted glass above and within bevelled glass within the arches. Continuous glazed top-light of circles framed by dentil courses. Entrance hall to the upper floors retains broad floorboards, panelled ceilings, painted timberwork at intervals down the hall and parallel to the pay counter more original varnished hardwood panelling with internal sliding sash window. Staircase with turned balusters and elaborate carved newel post with ball finial, four-panelled doors, marginal paned window to the light well and door with marginal glazing of pale stained glass and floral motif.

HISTORY: Butchers shop from 1891 according to Lambeth Archives. Shown on 1897 OS map.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
488508
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].