CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1359659

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359659 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 12:22:34.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Belchford

National Grid Reference: TF 29407 75411

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BELCHFORD MAIN STREET TF 27 NE (south side)

6/7 Church of St.Peter 14.9.66 and St.Paul

II

Parish church. 1781, chancel mostly rebuilt 1859-60, nave mostly rebuilt and tower reduced in 1909. Green sandstone rubble blocks, some red brick patching, limestone dressings. Plain tile and slate roofs with stone coped gables with kneelers and east cross finial. West tower truncated to form lean-to porch, nave, chancel with south vestry. West tower of 1781 truncated to lean- to porch in 1909 with C18 semi-circular headed west doorway with raised keystone, plain fanlight and panelled door. Small wooden, gabled bellcote above porch to left. To the right, fragments of limestone rubble and red brick patching, including one whorl moulded fragment. Nave with plinth and red brick dentillated eaves. North side with 2 pointed windows, both with 2 cusped, ogee headed lights, reticulated tracery and hood mould. Chancel with plinth and single north lancet. East end flanked by 2 stage diagonal buttresses with moulded string course running beneath east window of a cluster of three lancets with nook shafts, hood mould and label stops. South side of chancel with single lancet. Gabled vestry of 1859-60 projects to the south with tall octagonal stone chimney. East side with rectangular window containing a cusped ogee headed light. South end with single tall rectangular window containing cusped, ogee headed light and hood mould. West side with pointed doorway with continuous moulded surround and plank door. South side of nave with 3 pointed windows, each with 2 cusped ogee headed lights, reticulated tracery and hood mould. Church interior with C19 chancel arch with pointed, moulded head of 2 orders, semi- circular responds with moulded capitals and hood mould. South vestry with rectangular opening into chancel with small organ inserted. East window with nook shafts, moulded heads to lights and head label stops. C19 roofs, that in chancel with painted decoration. C15 octagonal font with panel tracery on bowl and pedestal. Ornate C19 altar and reredos with painted panels depicting Virgin and child and apostles. C19 pulpit of 2 panelled sides, one containing relief of Magi with Virgin and child. Bell dated 1683. C20 chairs.

Listing NGR: TF2940775411

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 195889

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing