CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1359663
Date first listed:
09-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359663 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 02:44:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Little Cawthorpe
National Grid Reference:
TF 35698 83746

Details

LITTLE CAWTHORPE CHURCH LANE TF 38 SE (east side)

5/23 Church of 9.3.67 St. Helen

G.V. II

Parish church. 1860 by R J Withers. Red brick with burnt header decoration, limestone ashlar dressing, some green sandstone rubble blocks and some marble. Slate roofs with decorative red ridge tiles; overhanging eaves; wrought iron finials; tall vestry chimney to north and square slate hung bellcote towards west end with narrow wooden bell stage with star shaped openings and broached spirelet with weathervane. Nave with bellcote and south porch, chancel with north vestry. Plinth with bands of sandstone and burnt headers. Plain bands of headers and broader, more ornate bands of headers run round church. West end with large pointed window with 2 pointed ashlar dressed lights with cusping and quatrefoil. North side of nave with a pair of cusped ashlar dressed lancets to east. Lean-to vestry beyond with north doorway with short straight head flanked by broad re-entrant curves, and plank door. Small pointed window to right with ashlar dressed cusping. East end of vestry with a pointed window with 2 pointed, ashlar dressed lights and plate quatrefoil. Large pointed east window with 3 pointed lights and complex ashlar tracery. Foundation stone, dated 1860, below. South side of chancel with single pointed window with 2 ashlar dressed, cusped lights with cusped oculus above. South side of nave with pair of ashlar dressed lancets with cusping. Gabled porch to west with pointed doorway with 2 low wooden gates. Inner pointed doorway with plank doors. All the windows and doors have pointed heads articulated by burnt header decoration. Church interior with tall, broad chancel arch with pointed head of 2 orders with ashlar decoration with red diamond shaped tiles inset. Responds with single, free standing marble shafts with ornate capitals and shaft rings. 3 sharply pointed openings in north wall of chancel, that to the east reaching to the floor and giving access to vestry. Plain, broad sedilia in south wall with segmental head. Ashlar string course runs round east end. Altar with ornate reredos of encaustic tiles. East window with nook shafts, ornate capitals and shaft rings. C19 altar rail, choir stalls, pews, octagonal font, polygonal pulpit and wagon roofs. Monument under west window to Eysimachus Parker, died 1860, with flanking squat marble shafts with ornate capitals and shaft rings, deepset bands of ball flower, dentillations and flower heads.

Listing NGR: TF3569883746

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
195907
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/10850/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Miles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].