Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359666.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2021 at 15:06:36.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 32051 82924



4/33 Church of 9.3.67 St. Vedest

G.V. II*

Parish church. Early C12, late C18, 1857. Green sandstone rubble, red brick and with limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with stone coped east gable and chevroned brick eaves. West tower, nave with south porch, polygonal chancel with north vestry. Broad, squat west tower of 4 stages with the lower 3 and a half meters of C12 sandstone with plinth to north and west doorway with C19 pointed head with fanlight, moulded wooden doorcase and panelled door. Red brick above with ashlar string course and bell openings on 3 sides each with segmental head, plain brick surround and shuttering. Brick and stone battlements above. Broad plinth of rubble runs round entire church with red brick above. North side with 2 C18 semi-circular windows gothicized in 1857, now both with a pointed head, 2 pointed lights with inner ogee headed lights, mouchettes, hood mould and head,label stops. Blind semi-circular headed C18 opening to east. North vestry of 1857 with rectangular window to the north with 3 Caernarvon head lights and east doorway with Caernarvon head, continuous chamfered surround and plank door. Polygonal chancel with blank north side and C19 east window with pointed head, 2 semi-circular headed lights with tracery, hood mould and grotesque head label stops. South side of chancel with pointed C19 window with 2 semi-circular headed lights, tracery, hood mould and head label stops. South side of nave is defined by pilaster buttresses. 2 pointed C19 windows each with 2 cusped lights, tracery and hood mould which runs into a flat ashlar string course on each side. Gabled timber frame porch of 1857 with herringbone brick nogging, studded gabled lintel inscribed: "Keep thy foot when thou goest into the house of God". Porch interior with flanking stone benches, and C19 doorway with pointed, chamfered doorway with hood mould, label stop heads and double plank doors. Early C12 interior tower arch with triple reponds with scalloped capitals, semi-circular head of 2 orders, possibly rebuilt at a later date. Late C18 chancel arch with semi-circular head flanked by single semi-circular headed openings. C19 roofs, altar rail, pulpit, lecturn, choir stalls and pews. Fine alabaster standing wall monument to Edward Hanby, died 1626; of 4 tiers, with Hanby himself kneeling before a prieu-dieu, at the top, flanked by skulls and hourglass; with a broken segmental pediment above with cartouche and coats of arms. His heirs, John and Elizabeth Chaplin kneel below on each side of prieu-dieu with broken pediment above, and 7 daughters and 6 sons kneeling below, various inscriptions on black marble. Fragment of Anglo-Saxon interlace tomb slab to left. Grey and white marble monument to Thomas Chaplin, died 1747, by Hoare of Bath, with woman mourning over an urn with a winged hourglass above. 2 monuments of white marble ovals on black marble fields to Frederick Chaplin, died 1863, and Charles Chaplin, died 1835, and family. Grey and white marble monument with urn and palms to Elizabeth Chaplin, died 1833.

Listing NGR: TF3205182924


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14449/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gerard Sheridan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].