CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1359681
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359681 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 06:14:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Addlethorpe
National Grid Reference:
TF 55089 69095

Details

TF 56 NE ADDLETHORPE CHURCH LANE (north side)

7/2 Church of 3.2.67 St. Nicholas

G.V. I

Parish church. C15, 1706, 1736, 1875 restoration. Ashlar and brick with lead roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch, chancel removed in 1706. 3 stage C15 tower with bell moulded plinth, chamfered string courses, embattled parapet with corner pinnacles, stepped corner buttresses. To the belfry stage are 3 light openings with cusped heads, panel tracery, moulded surrounds and hoods. To the middle stage, 2 light windows with cusped heads and quatrefoil over. Pointed west door in continuously moulded surround. Above a 3 light window with panel tracery and over the head a shield in octofoil surround is flanked by cusped niches, beneath a brattished cornice. The aisles and nave clerestorey are battlemented, the aisles with stepped buttresses on the north side with corbelled grotesques and panelled crocketed pinnacles. The north aisle has 6 three light windows, one to each end and 4 to the north, all with cavetto mullions, hollow moulded surrounds, cusped heads and panel tracery with continuous hood mould. The pointed north door is in a continuously moulded surround with empty statue niche over. The lead rainwater heads are dated 1708. The east end of the nave was closed off in brick in Flemish bond in 1706. To either side of the blocking are stepped buttresses, and it contains a central pointed blank arch with moulded surround, above which is a chamfered offset and 3 ashlar panels recording the work in 1706. In the east gable is a 2 light window. The south aisle has 3 light windows matching those to the north. The clerestorey has 4 two light windows, panel tracery and chamfered surrounds. The gabled south porch has a continuously moulded outer door with fleurons and moulded hood, above is a moulded ogee niche. The parapet has angel supporters and fine running vine scroll decoration. To the gable is an original floriated crucifixus. Inside the porch, on the east wall is an inscription recording the donor John Goddard. Side benches, and in the north east angle an octagonal stoup with ogee head, above which is a cusped niche. The south doorway is continuously moulded. and retains its early C15 wooden door with panel traceried head, now with C18 wicket. The porch roof is original with moulded principals and arched braced ties. Interior. 5 bay nave arcades with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and hollow chamfered arches. Tall matching tower arch has concave moulded imposts. Chancel arch has wave moulded reveals and double chamfered arch. In the aisles are cusped headed piscina. The roofs are all original with moulded principals, bosses and demi figure supporters. The nave roof has arch braces, and above the tie beams are pierced cusped traceried panels. In the north aisle 2 windows retain C15 grisaille glass, with figures of saints and canopies. Fittings. The spectacular tower and chancel screens have tall narrow cusped gablettes in broader panelled traceried arches. Over the opening of the tower screen an inscription to the donor John Dudeck. In the aisles are 3 matching parclose screens with ogee heads and panel tracery. The complete set of benches have carved poppy head ends and original back seats and rests. Early C18 panelled octagonal pulpit, with swept base. In the north aisle is a large painted arms of George I in a panelled wooden surround with moulded cornice. In the tower a set of 4 commandment boards. The C15 octagonal font has panelled sides and base containing tracery and shields. C19 conical softwood cover. Monuments. In the north chapel a small brass wall plaque to Mary Andrews d.1728 with Memento Mori in plain ashlar surround. In the floor of the north chapel a C15 ashlar slab with cross fleury on stepped base.

Listing NGR: TF5509369098

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196003
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05890/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].