PELHAMS PILLAR CABOURNE HIGH WOOD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1359765
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Dec-1984
Statutory Address:
PELHAMS PILLAR CABOURNE HIGH WOOD, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PELHAMS PILLAR CABOURNE HIGH WOOD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359765 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 12:17:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
PELHAMS PILLAR CABOURNE HIGH WOOD, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Cabourne
National Grid Reference:
TA 12896 03684

Details

TA 10 SW CABOURNE HIGH STREET (east side)

1/4 Pelham's Pillar Cabourne High Wood 1.11.66. (formerly listed as Pelham's II Pillar Brocklesby Park)

Tower. Eye-catcher. 1840-9 by E. J. Willson. Limestone ashlar exterior, cream brick interior, fish-scale tiled square dome with urn finial. 3 steps lead up to tall 3 stepped base with roll moulding above. On north-east side a sleeping lion and a waking lion on high pediments flank a flight of 9 steps that lead up to a 4 pannelled door with a lugged architrave. Plaque above door commemorates Charles Anderson Pelham, Lord Marborough who planted 12,532,700 trees in Cabourne High Wood between 1787 and 1828. Also relates that the pillar was built 1840-9. Above base rectangular tower rises 128 feet with 8 slit lights in both the north-east and south-east sides, and 9 in north-west and south- west sides. Top tapers to Roman Doric capital with a square turret above with arched window with mock balustrades and wreathed oculus above, on each face.



Listing NGR: TA1289603684

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196359
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].