Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359772.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 23:30:11.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 21558 96240



5/28 Church of St Helen 1.11.66. II

Parish Church. Early C13, early C14, greatly rebuilt in 1860. Coursed ironstone rubble, ironstone ashlar, some red brick, slate roofs with stone coped gables. West tower including west porch, nave with south baptistry , rectangular chancel with north vestry. C19 west tower with ashlar west front and rubble north and south walls. West doorway re-uses bay of an early C13 arcade, flanked by a cluster of 3 large shafts on each side with abaci, plain capitals and moulded and double chamfered pointed arch. Single lancet above. Porch interior has an early C13 west doorway with pointed arch with slight chamfer and hoodmould, with moulded imposts, chamfered jambs and C19 plank door. Tombstone of Johnathon Field, died 1760, set in floor. C19 north aisle with C13 west lancet re-set. North side partly raised with red bricks 2 lancets. C19 vestry with west doorway with Caenarvon head and plank door. Pointed window in north side. Chancel's east end with large single pointed window with weathered hoodmould. Gable above with finial. Flanking 2 stage angle buttresses. Early C14 south side of chancel raised with red brick in C19. 2 early C14 pointed windows each of 2 cusped ogee lights with quatrefoil above, that to the west restored, both with hoodmoulds. C19 south baptistery with re-used medieval fragments embedded in west and east sides. South side has C19 pointed 2 light window re-using some C13 stone and with C13 hoodmould. Interior arch leading from nave to baptistery consists of re-set early C13 bay of arcade with double chamfered pointed arch, keeled responds, plain capitals and bold abaci. Caenarvon headed doorway to vestry with C20 plank door. C13 piscinia with ogee head in south wall of chancel. Plain C12 drum font in baptistery. Early C18 hatchment over west door. Ornate C20 altar rail. C20 pews, lecturn, pulpit etc. North side of chancel has white marble monument on black marble field, with weeping angel with dipped torch, by E. Gaffin to Frances Alington who died of a broken heart after the death of her betrothed, in 1828. South side of chancel has white marble monument on black marble field with relief of 2 wealthy women giving food to a poor family by T. Gaffin to Mrs Pye, died 1847.

Listing NGR: TF2155896240


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05900/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].