TOWER HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1359829
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Jan-1985
Statutory Address:
TOWER HOUSE, 2, GRIMSBY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359829 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 16:59:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWER HOUSE, 2, GRIMSBY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Caistor
National Grid Reference:
TA 11955 01389

Details

TA 1001-1101 CAISTOR GRIMSBY ROAD (South Side)

9/55 No 2, Tower House (formerly listed under 1-11-66 High Street)

G.V. II

House, early C19, stucco with stucco dressings, hipped slate roof with 2 ridge stucco stacks. 2 storey 3 bay front with first floor band, cornice band and slightly overhanging eaves. The outer 2 bays are bowed and slightly advanced through both storeys. Central 6 panelled door with upper pair of panels glazed and panels decorated with rectangles with scalloped angles, traceried fanlight. Covered by an open porch supported on detached circular Tuscan columns and to either side similar half columns. Columns support plain frieze and entablature. Flanked by single glazing bar sashes to full height with plain surrounds and simple cornices supported on slender scrolled brackets to either side. On the first floor are 3 glazing bar sashes. All windows have notably slender glazing bars, original glass and shutters. Interior has moulded skirting, architraves and doors,marble fireplace with brass roundels at the angles and a second with fluted columns to either side. Right facade to Grimsby Road has 4 bays on the ground floor with cornices and brackets and on the first floor 4 glazing bar sashes, all original.

Listing NGR: TA1195501389

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196606
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Nov 2007
Reference: IOE01/16983/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].