Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1359847

Date first listed: 16-Dec-1964



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359847 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 09:35:48.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Fillingham

National Grid Reference: SK 94801 85914


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SK 98 NW FILLINGHAM MAIN STREET (North side) 4/21 Church of St. Andrew 16,12.64 G.V. II*

Parish church. c1180, mid C13, 1768, 1777, restored in 1866 possibly by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Coursed limestone rubble. Slate roofs. West tower, nave, rectangular chancel and north- west vestry. 3 stage west tower rebuilt in 1777 with plinth and pointed open archways to west, north and south, each with hood mould. Flat string course above with single large, plain blocked oculus on each side. Moulded cornice above and bell openings on all 4 sides, each a large pointed opening divided by 2 pointed lights. Plain parapet above. West doorway within tower, of c1180 with round roll moulded head with single columnar jambs, that to the left with waterleaf capital, to the right with plain battered capital, and plank doors. North-west corner of original nave visible between tower and north-west vestry, with flat string course. C19 north-west vestry with plinth, single stage buttress to south and pointed west doorway with chamfered surround, hood mould, label stops and plank door. Coped gable to north with steps down to coalhole and trefoiled opening to west, and pointed 2 light window with cusped oculus, hood mould and label stops. North wall of nave with three windows made up of mid C13 fragments re-set into wall. Each window of 2 lights, the pair to the west with taller light to right, the pair to the east with taller light to left. Central window of 2 equally paired lights. Moulded eaves above. Plain north chancel wall. East end of chancel with plinth and large pointed C19 window with 3 lights, reticulated tracery, hood mould and label stops. South side of chancel with plinth and small pointed doorway with chamfered surround and plank door. Nave with plinth with 3 pointed windows, each of 2 pointed lights with trefoil above and hood mould. Large mid C13 interior tower arch with double chamfered, pointed head, the outer order with broaches, hood mould and C19 foliate label stops. Slightly keeled responds with plain capitals, octagonal abaci and water holding bases. 3 mid C13 bays of north and south arcades partially visible in C18 walls. Pointed arches with hood moulds and heads in spandrels. 2 central octagonal piers visible on each side, while arches die away into wall to east and west. Mid C13 chancel arch with double chamfered, pointed head and responds possibly encased in masonry below. C20 flat ceiling to nave and wooden roof to chancel. 3 monuments on north wall of chancel, that to east in black, grey and white marble with urn and draperies, to Sir Cecil Wray, Bar't. of Summer Castle, died 1805. In the centre a monument of grey and black marble with round arch with cable decoration supported on polygonal columns with 2 shields above, to Jane Sanderson, died 1603. To west, a black, white and grey marble monument with urn and draperies, to Dame Esther Wray, died 1823. Early C14 chest against east wall of chancel with intersecting arches, rosettes, whorls, etc. C19 lectern and pulpit, early C20 pews and altar rail. C13 octagonal font on C20 base.

Listing NGR: SK9480185914


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 196712

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing