THIRD CHURCH OF CHRIST SCIENTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1359857
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1975
Statutory Address:
THIRD CHURCH OF CHRIST SCIENTIST, UPPER PARLIAMENT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THIRD CHURCH OF CHRIST SCIENTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359857 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 01:46:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
THIRD CHURCH OF CHRIST SCIENTIST, UPPER PARLIAMENT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 35558 89216

Details

SJ 3589 SE UPPER PARLIAMENT STREET (north side) L8

60/1268 Third Church of Christ Scientist 14.3.75. G.V. II

Christian Science Church, built as Temple of Humanity. 1914. W.H. Ansell. Brick with patterning of tiles. 5-bay nave with passage aisles, chancel with canted apse, and projecting organ loft to left of chancel. Aisles have swept flying buttresses, Diocletian windows to clerestories. Projecting porch to south has gable and round-headed entrance. Apse has niche with segmental open pediment and iron grille; gable has pediment flanked by swept parapets. Interior has arcades with segmental arches, aisles have niches. Chancel has low wall and elliptical apse and baldachino with Byzantine columns. Nave now divided by partition, and ceiling to both nave and chancel below clerestory level.

Listing NGR: SJ3555889216

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
359649
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/08210/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Cross. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].