CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1359866
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1975
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST, THOMAS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359866 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 03:48:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST, THOMAS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 40861 91406

Details

SJ 4091 26/1225

THOMAS LANE, L14 Church of St. John Evangelist

14.3.75.

G.V. II

Church. Nave, aisles and west tower 1835-7. Chancel and south chapel 1890; Aldridge and Deacon. Stone with slate roof. West tower has octagonal turrets and pinnacles. Tudor arched entrance, doors with pointed panels. 2-light west window. 3-face clock and 2-light bell openings. Embattled parapet and needle spire. Flanking gabled bays with diagonal buttresses and 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery. Aisles have 3-light windows between shallow buttresses. Pinnacles missing. Gabled organ loft with 3-light window and vestry to north of chancel. 5-light chancel east window and 4-light south chapel window. Interior has Perpendicular arcades and coffered ceiling. West gallery across nave and aisles. Wooden screens to chapel and chancel. Chancel roof has arch-braced tie beams on angle corbels, north angle has central window by Morris and Co.

Listing NGR: SJ4086191406

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
359605
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/01696/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Frank Edge. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].