CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1359942

Date first listed: 09-Sep-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359942 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 03:04:34.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Tetney

National Grid Reference: TA 31667 00892

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 30 SW TETNEY CHURCH LANE

2/48 Church of St. Peter and 9.9.67 St. Paul

G.V. I

Parish church. 1363, C15, 1862 restoration and chancel rebuilt by R. J. Withers. Grey limestone ashlar, squared coursed ironstone rubble, slate and lead roofs. Western tower, nave, aisles, chancel, vestry. The tall C15 3 stage grey ashlar tower has bell moulded plinth, 2 chamfered string courses, an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles, and stepped corner buttresses, full height, with gargoyles over. To the middle stage on all but the east side are single cusped headed lights in deep concave moulded surrounds. The 4 belfry stage lights comprise 2 paired lights with trefoil ogee heads and mouchette over set under a common ogee hood. Beneath the lights within the moulded surround are 2 pairs of blank cusped panels. The west doorway has a 4 centred head with concave chamfered and moulded surround and hood. Above is a large 3 light window, cusped heads to the lights, panel tracery and double concave moulded surround. The west wall of the north aisle has a C14 3 light window, ogee head to the middle light and mouchettes. In the aisle north wall is a C14 doorway, single chamfered with moulded hood and animal head stops and 4 C14 3 light windows, cusped ogee heads to the lights, chamfered square surrounds, extensively recut C19. The end bay is a vestry with pointed doorway and a 2 light window. The vestry east wall has a C19 window with intersecting tracery. Chancel and nave are roofed in slate. The chancel north wall has C19 lancet and a fragment of a C13 shallow incised cross fleury grave slab is reused in the north east buttress of the chancel. The east window is of 3 lights with C15 reveals but C19 tracery. The south wall has 2 C19 2 light windows. The east window of the south aisle is early C15, of 3 lights, cusped ogee heads to the lights, panel tracery and hood. The south aisle has 2 three light and a single 2 light C14 windows as north aisle. Further west is a blocked pointed doorway with reeded imposts. The west wall of the aisle has a small 2 light C15 window with concave moulded surround and hood with human head label stops. Interior. The C14 5 bay nave arcades have octagonal piers and responds with bell moulded bases, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. The second pier from the west on the north side is inscribed in Latin "This work was completed AD 1363, Robert Day thenvicar". The C14 tower arch has deeply chamfered responds, moulded capitals and a double splayed arch and single splayedcontinuous outer order. The chancel arch has a continuous double chamfered moulding. A similar though C19 arch opens into the former north chapel, now vestry. To the south of the chancel arch is a doorway with a 4 centred arched head with a rood stair. In the chancel north wall is a C14 double chamfered archway opening into the former north chapel. The reredos has an ashlar framework with brattished top and is inlaid with elaborate handpainted tiles and gilded panels, and is flanked by plainer tiled panels. All fittings are C19 including the octagonal font. Monuments. In the north wall of the aisle are set 2 rectangular inscribed tablets to members of the de Elkynton family, who died in 1322 and 1328. There is a similar tablet on the south wall of the chancel to Thomas Jekyl, vicar. He was vicar from 1461-1501.

Listing NGR: TA3166400891

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 195355

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing