CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1359976
Date first listed:
09-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359976 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 20:23:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Stewton
National Grid Reference:
TF 36208 87151

Details

STEWTON CHURCH LANE TF 38 NE (south side) 8/76 Church of St Andrew 9.3.67 - II*

Parish church. Cll, C12, C14, c.1866 by James Fowler, 1902. Greenstone rubble, limestone ashlar, red brick. Slate roofs with stone coped gables with cross finials, gabled C19 bellcote with round headed bell opening with moulded head, imposts and bell. West porch, nave with west bellcote and south porch converted into vestry, chancel. Gabled west porch of 1902 with round headed doorway with moulded head, hood mould and label stops, single flanking shafts with ornate waterleaf capitals. Plaque dated 1902 and inscribed with names of rector and church wardens in south wall. 2 weathered, carved Cll fragments reset in north wall. Porch interior with C19 round headed doorway with keeled rolls, hood mould and label stops, single shafts with ornate capitals and double plank doors. C19 wheel window above porch with trefoil headed openings divided by shafts with moulded bases and ornate capitals. Small oculus above. North side of Cll nave with blocked Cll doorway to west with round headed tympanum, 2 voussoirs to east and plain rectangular jambs. C14 window to east with flattened triangular head, 3 cusped, pointed ligts and mullions partially restored in C19. North side of chancel, plain. East end of chancel flanked by 2 stage angle buttresses with large keystone of medieval rib vault reset below C19 window of 3 narrow round headed lights, that in centre taller, con- tinuous hood mould. Fragment of C12 moulding including band of dogtooth reset above window. South side of chancel with C19 rectangular window with cham- fered surround and medieval sill. South side of nave C19 window to east with flattened triangular head and 3 pointed cusped lights. Cll window to west, a round headed slit light made up of 4 large stones. Gabled C19 porch with south wall blocked with C20 red brick and a small round headed light inserted. East side of porch with C19 rectangular window with chamfered surround. Cll south doorway inside blocked porch with round voussoired head, plain tympanum, chamfered imposts and rectangular jambs. Doorway viewed from nave interior with C19 round voussoired head and rectangular jambs re-using Cll masonry. North wall of nave interior with Cll voussoired round head of blocked doorway. Cll chancel arch restored in C19 with round voussoired head, chamfered imposts with scored line decoration and rectangular jambs. Moulded string course runs from just below impost level to north wall with broad, blocked round headed recess below. Chancel with C14 beareed head reset on north wall. East window with nook shafts, ornate waterleaf capitals, hood mould and ornate label stops. C19 stone altar supported on 2 large round shafts with cushion capitals. C19 pews, roofs, brass lectern and pulpit on ashlar base. C19 font with octagonal bowl supported on a cluster of 4 shafts and with orenate wooden hood.

Listing NGR: TF3620887151

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
195519
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/07236/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].