CHURCH OF ST EDITH
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST EDITH, TINKLE STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359986.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 11:25:55.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST EDITH, TINKLE STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Lindsey (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 39281 87954
GRIMOLDBY AND MANBY TINKLE STREET
TF 38 NE
8/26 Church of St. Edith
Parish church. C13, early and late C14, C15, C16, 1878, 1890. Coursed greenstone rubble and ashlar, some ironstone rubble, limestone ashlar. Lead roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, north porch and south porch, converted to vestry, chancel. Mid C14 tower re-furbished in C15. Plinth and 5 stage angle buttresses with staircase slit lights in south-west buttress. C14 blocked west doorway with pointed head, chamfered surround in one, hood mould and head label stops. Pointed C15 window above with 2 round cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Moulded string course above with single cusped ogee headed light with moulded string course above. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each a pointed opening with 2 cusped ogee headed lights with hood mould. Moulded eaves with grotesque gargoyles at corners, parapet above with corner pinnacles. West front of north aisle with pointed window restored in C19, with 2 cusped, ogee headed lights and hood mould. Moulded eaves and crocketed parapet above. C19 gabled north porch with pointed doorway, head and jambs moulded in one, hood mould and plank and wire doors. Porch interior with pointed C15 doorway with deeply moulded head and jambs in one, hood mould and C15 door with lower band of cusped tracery and studded ribs. Stoup in north-west corner, re- using medieval fragments, with polygonal bowl and pedestal. North aisle to east of porch with moulded plinth and string course. 3 C14 windows alternate with 3 two stage buttresses, each of the former with pointed heads, 3 cusped ogee headed lights, tracery and hood moulds. Moulded eaves above with large, grotesque gargoyle heads and battlements above. C14 clerestorey above with 4 pointed windows, each with 2 cusped, ogee headed lights and mouchette. Moulded eaves above with large gargoyle heads and parapet. East end of north aisle with pointed, 3 light, C14 window, all with cusped, ogee heads, reticulated tracery and hood mould. Moulded eaves above and crocketed parapet. Chancel restored in 1878 with stepped plinth and moulded string course. North side with 2 stage buttress dividing 2 pointed windows east with 3 cusped, ogee headed lights, reticulated tracery and hood mould. East end with 2 stage angle buttresses and large C15 window with flattened triangular head, 5 cusped, ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. South side of chancel with 2 pointed windows each with 3 cusped, ogee headed lights, mouchettes and hood mould, with pointed blocked C15 doorway in between with bowtell moulded head and jambs in one, and hood mould running into string course to left and right. East end of south aisle with pointed C14 window with 3 cusped, ogee headed lights, cusped mouchettes and hood mould; alternating with 2 stage buttresses. C19 south porch to west converted to vestry with pointed head, 2 cusped pointed lights, quatrefoil and hood mould. Moulded eaves above, with large gargoyle heads and battlements. West end of south aisle with pointed window with 2 cusped ogee headed lights, mouchette, hood mould and head label stops. Moulded eaves and crocketed parapet above. Clerestory with 4 pointed windows, each with 2 cusped ogee headed lights and quatrefoil. Moulded eaves above with large gargoyle heads, parapet above. C14 interior tower arch with triple chamfered head dying into rectangular jambs. Mid C13 north and south arcades of 4 bays with double cavetto moulded pointed heads, octagonal piers and polygonal responds. C14 double cavetto pointed chancel arch with polygonal responds. To north of chancel, a rectangular opening with steep flight of steps, originally leading to rood loft. Dado of C15 screen with 8 panels divided by central opening flanked by openwork traceried 'buttresses', each panel with rich cusped panel tracery with rosettes. Pulpit incorporating C15 richly traceried panels with ornate rosettes re-used from C15 bench ends. Early C15 octagonal font with cusped panels containing shields and blind traceried, cusped pedestal. Pointed piscina in north aisle of nave. C18 eagle lectern. C19 and C20 screen and gallery set in tower arch. Rectangular opening partially blocked by north-west nave respond, with fragmentary moulded string courses below. Fragments of medieval stained glass in north aisle window. Fine C16 nave tiebeam queen post roof with partially intact cusping, re-used C13 angels, richly carved rosette bosses on ashlar corbels. Corbels in north and south aisles, supporting C16 roof in north aisle. C19 and C20 chancel and south aisle roofs. Monument on north wall of nave to William Caley, died 1787, including roundel containing cross.
Listing NGR: TF3927887953
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing