CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1360012
Date first listed:
09-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360012 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 20:40:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Carlton
National Grid Reference:
TF 40812 85597

Details

TF 48 NW GREAT CARLTON CHURCH LANE 1/6 Church of St.John the Baptist 9.3.67 G.V. II Parish church. C15 tower, church rebuilt in 1861 by James Fowler of Louth in C13 style. Coursed limestone rubble and squared greenstone rubble. Slate and tiled roofs with decorative iron ridges. Western tower, nave with clerestory, south porch, chancel, aisles and vestry. The 3 stage greenstone buttressed tower has embattled and pinnacled top with gargoyles. To the belfry stage are cusped paired lights with panel tracery, hood moulds and label stops, to each face. On the south side are 2 black letter inscriptions and a pair of trefoil headed lights to middle stage. The west doorway is continuously moulded with hood. Above is a 2 light window with panel tracery and concave surround. The north aisle is separately roofed and has a 3 light window to west and 4 paired windows to north. Charming facetted vestry with pointed lights. The chancel has a fishscale tiled roof. The east window is of 3 lights with Geometric tracery. The chancel south wall has a pair of 2 light windows. The south aisle has 4 lancets in the south and a single one to the east and west. The clerestory has 4 cusped triangular lights. The gabled south porch has a moulded outer arch with angle shafts and trefoil side lights. The single chamfered inner doorway has moulded hood and stops. Interior. The 4 bay arcades have octagonal piers, capitals and double chamfered arches incorporating much reused material. The double chamfered tower arch incorporates C15 moulded imposts and voussoirs. The C19 double chamfered chancel arch has keeled responds. The banded brick and ashlar interior has encaustic tiled texts and panels. The chancel roof is supported on moulded corbels, and there is a moulded doorway to the vestry. Handsome marble and mosaic reredos of 1890 with good stained glass window above of 1892. All fittings including decorative cast iron chandelier and panelled and stencilled organ are C19. The C15 octagonal font has blank traceried panels, octagonal stem and base, and comes from Little Carlton church. There is also a C19 font, belonging to this church. In the chancel north wall are 2 wall monuments to Frederic Pretyman, d.1905, and his wife Georgina, both in the Gothic Taste.

Listing NGR: TF4081285597

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
195612
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/11104/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].