LITTLE PONTON HALL AND SERVICE RANGE WITH YARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1360363
Date first listed:
09-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
LITTLE PONTON HALL AND SERVICE RANGE WITH YARD, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LITTLE PONTON HALL AND SERVICE RANGE WITH YARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360363 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:24:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
LITTLE PONTON HALL AND SERVICE RANGE WITH YARD, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Little Ponton and Stroxton
National Grid Reference:
SK 92684 32194

Details

LITTLE PONTON AND off CHURCH LANE SK 93 SW STROXTON (east side) 4/108 Little Ponton Hall and Service Range with yard G.V. II Small country house and service range with yard. Early C18, late C18, early C19 alterations and additions. 1864 alterations. Squared limestone rubble with ashlar quoins, ashlar, slate roofs with stone coped gables, moulded ashlar gable and ridge stacks. 2 storey plus attics, 8 bay south front arranged 3:3:2, the central 3 bays project slightly with first floor band. The right hand 5 bays are what remains of the original early C18 7 bay front. The left hand bays were cut down and then replaced late C18 by 3 slightly higher bays. Central half glazed door with plain overlight set in panelled reveals under added Doric portico with plain cornice. To left a glazing bar sash, and a rectangular mid C19 bay window with hipped slate roof and 3 tall glazing bar sashes with dividing pilasters. To right 3 glazing bar sashes. To first floor 8 glazing bar sashes. The windows in the central 3 bays have ashlar surrounds with keystones. To the roof are 4 glazing bar casement dormers with curved lead roofs and cheeks. The left hand side front is of 3 bays in ashlar with hipped slate roof and central 2 storey late C18 bow window containing 3 glazing bar sashes, flanked by single similar windows. The plain parapet is ramped up to the slightly advanced central bay. To the rear is an early C18 eared door surround with scrolled brackets and pediment. To the right of the house is a late C18 service block, altered 1864, U-plan. The 2 storey, 6 bay front has 3 blocked openings to ground floor, and 2 glazing bar sashes, with above 2 smaller blocked openings and 3 similar windows. In the yard area are 5 early C18 pedimented doorcases as the rear, and a datestone of 1864 with the Turnor initials. Interior has late C18 circular top lit stair hall with cantilevered staircase, 2 slender moulded balusters per tread, wreathed handrail and niches with semi-circular heads to the upper floor. History. The house has probably built for William Thorold, d.l725, or for Lord Widrington, was altered late C18 for the Pennyman family and in C19 by Christopher Turnor of Stoke Rochford Hall. It seems most likely that the matching early C18 doorcases came from one of the demolished Stoke Rochford Halls.

Listing NGR: SK9268432194

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
193349
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08028/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Fred Halliday. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email Enriching[email protected].