14 AND 15, ST GEORGE'S SQUARE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1360397
Date first listed:
22-May-1954
Statutory Address:
14 AND 15, ST GEORGE'S SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 14 AND 15, ST GEORGE'S SQUARE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360397 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:55:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
14 AND 15, ST GEORGE'S SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Stamford
National Grid Reference:
TF 03238 07049

Details

1. 1671 ST GEORGE'S SQUARE (South Side) Nos 14 & 15 TF 0307 1/158 22.5.54. II* GV 2. Pair of houses incorporating much mediaeval masonry, and with numerous gables and uneven plan. Originally a manor and used an a Dower House. Coursed rubble. Stone slate roof. Surrounding 3 sides of a small court. Fenestration is mostly of hung sashes, but one mullioned and transomed late C17 window with leaded lattice survives. No 14 has a diminutive oriel upper window with 2 lights in moulded rectangular frames, set in situ triangularly under a tiny stone hood, projecting more like a lantern than a window. 6-panel entrance door with semi-circular fanlight built into stone porch in angle of building. No 15 has one large gable facing the street containing a good 2-storey bowed window with glazing bars, and a small latticed casement in the gable, Front elevation rendered. Modern ashlar outshot. Porch of simple wood treillage. Mainly demolished early C18. Billet mouldings on basement beams.

The Church of St George, Nos 1 to 7 (consec) Nos 9 to 12 (consec), Outbuilding to No 12 and Nos 14 to 22 (consec) form a group.

Also Nos 1 to 7 (consec), Nos 9 to l2 (consec), Outbuilding to No 12 and Nos 14 to 22 (consec) with Nos 25 and 26 St Mary's Street form a group.

Listing NGR: TF0323807049

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
193624
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16545/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter D. Dewar. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].