Burghley Almshouses (Lord Burghley's Hospital)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1360415
Date first listed:
22-May-1954
Statutory Address:
Burghley Almshouses (Lord Burghley's Hospital, St Martin's

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360415.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Sep-2020 at 13:52:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
Burghley Almshouses (Lord Burghley's Hospital, St Martin's

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Stamford
National Grid Reference:
TF 03024 06903

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/04/2020

TF 0306 1/237 ST MARTIN'S (West Side) Burghley Almshouses (Lord Burghley's Hospital)

22.5.54.

GV II* Founded 1597 on the site of the medieval hospital of St John, Baptist and St Thomas, Martyr, Remains of ex situ C12 Norman arch of backwater and flat buttress on east corner of river front. Small Norman capital re-set in street wall of east range. Two storeys in stone. North elevation is to river, with buttresses to left, below tall stone chimneys. Between each is a small stone-capped gable, containing a rectangular window with one stone mullion. South elevation forms three sides of a small garden, divided from road by a stone wall. hree similar gables and ground floor windows with one stone mullion, and moulded cornices all somewhat restored. West elevation has a similar type of building without gables, and the extension eastward is of slightly later date, a plain stone building forming a small ground floor hall with lofts etc over. The gatehouse consists of two of the almshouses flanking a passage entrance. Door to street is of plain treatment.

Nos 39 to 43 (consec), Garden Wall to No 43, No 44, Wall to No 44, Nos 45 to 70 consec), Garden Wall to Nos 68 and 69 with Burghley Almshouses form a group.

Listing NGR: TF0309306749

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
193715
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/10856/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].