LADE BANK LOCK, PUMPING STATION AND CHIMNEY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1360501
Date first listed:
26-Aug-1987
Statutory Address:
LADE BANK LOCK, PUMPING STATION AND CHIMNEY

Map

Ordnance survey map of LADE BANK LOCK, PUMPING STATION AND CHIMNEY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360501 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2019 at 16:20:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
LADE BANK LOCK, PUMPING STATION AND CHIMNEY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Boston (District Authority)
Parish:
Old Leake
National Grid Reference:
TF 37933 54489

Details

TF 35 SE OLD LEAKE LADE BANK

2/105 Lade Bank Lock, Pumping Station and Chimney

II

Lock, pumping station and chimney. 1805 by John Rennie and 1867. Red brick, red and yellow brick, slate roofs with raised stone coped gables and kneelers. Originally consisting of a lock of 4 cutwaters and 2 abutments all of keeled plan with gritstone cappings, with grooves and fixings for lock gates. In 1867 an engine house and pumping station with tall chimney was built above. Single storey, 7 bay front, with plinth, arranged 4:3, the right hand 3 bays being set back and built on arches over the earlier lock. Semi-circular headed windows retain original cast iron glazing bars and have red and yellow banded voussoirs. In the right hand gable are 2 further similar windows and above a blocked circular opening formerly louvred. To left a tall square tapering brick chimney in Italianate style having triple plinth to the base and tall red brick recessed panels to the sides, with yellow brick angles and imposts. Above a dentillated and projecting course are paired similar shorter panels, also with voussoirs. The top of the chimney is corbelled out with moulded bands. On the left hand gable a contemporary wrought iron weather vane. Light cast iron roof trusses throughout. The engine house contained 6 boilers to raise the steam to operate the 2 pumps. The pumping station has been replaced by a modern station of 1938 also partly built on the original lock bases. The 1867 pumping station was built when the shrinking of the peat in the East Fen meant that the fen could no longer be drained by gravity, and the water had to be pumped into the higher southern half of Hobhole Drain. Source: Neil R. Wright.

Listing NGR: TF3793354489

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
192024
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Wright, N R, A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of Lincolnshire

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].