THE PRIORY, GATES AND GATEPIERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1360527
Date first listed:
23-Aug-1967
Statutory Address:
THE PRIORY, GATES AND GATEPIERS, CHURCH WALK

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360527.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2021 at 12:28:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PRIORY, GATES AND GATEPIERS, CHURCH WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Brant Broughton and Stragglethorpe
National Grid Reference:
SK 91535 54027

Details

BRANT BROUGHTON AND STRAGGLETHORPE CHURCH WALK SK 95 SW 6/25 (west side) 23.8.67 The Priory, Gates and Gatepiers GV II* House. 1658, built for William Garnon. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. Pantile hipped roof with 3 wall stacks with broad moulded stone bases with set- offs topped by tall brick shafts, and a single moulded stone ridge stack. Moulded stone plinth, first floor band and eaves cornice. Quoins. 3 bay. 2 storey. Main, east front has central doorway with staff moulded ashlar surround and plank door. Above 2 light chamfered and mullioned overlight topped by an inset plaque inscribed GWA. 1658, over which first floor band rises. Either side single chamfered 2 light cross windows with 3 similar windows above. South front has a single centrally placed chamfered 3 light cross window on each floor. Low 2 storey C18 brick extension to rear. Interior has fine contemporary, carved, single flight return staircase and a panelled room with staff moulded stone fire place. The attached garden wall has centrally placed iron gates with a pair of rusticated gate piers with moulded caps topped by ball finials.

Listing NGR: SK9153554027

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
192376
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/05014/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robin W. Symons. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].