OLD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1360740
Date first listed:
21-Jul-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Mar-1989
Statutory Address:
OLD HALL, OLD HALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360740 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 19:33:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD HALL, OLD HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Harborough (District Authority)
Parish:
Lubenham
National Grid Reference:
SP 70847 87037

Details

LUBENHAM OLD HALL LANE SP 7087-7187 (east side)

7/46 Old Hall (formerly listed as the 21.7.51 Old House)

- II

House, fragment of a large H-plan house. Late C16 with early C18 alterations, reduced c1774, C20 alterations. Ironstone and brick. Slate roof with 2 brick gable stacks. South front: 2 storeys, 5 bays. Originally brick, refaced in stone, early C18. Chamfered plinth. Blank centre flanked by 2 pairs of cross windows. Above, between floors, a single cross window with above to left and right,another 2 pairs of cross windows. All windows C20 with stone cills and wooden lintels. West gable end wall has a blocked 4-light stone mullioned window, with ovolo-moulded mullions, and hoodmould, probably late C16. Interior: 3 chamfered main beams with run-out stops. Charles I is reported to have lodged here on the eve of the Battle of Naseby. J Nichols II,11 699 and illus opp 701. VCH, V, 220.

Listing NGR: SP7084787037

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
191373
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Nichols, J, History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester 1775-1811, (1811), 699
Nichols, J, History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester 1775-1811, (1811)
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, (1964), 220

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12918/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Anne French. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].