Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360775.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 04:37:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Harborough (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 69907 89745



4/14 Church of St Andrew 7.12.66 GV II*

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C17, restored 1893 by H Hardwicke Langs of London, and by William White. West tower, nave, north aisle, north porch, south aisle, chancel. Coursed rubblestone and ashlar dressings with copper clad roofs. West tower; 5 stages, lower 3 are C13 with chamfered plinth and 4 stringcourses dividing the stages, cavetto moulded cornice with crenellation above. Angle buttress at south-west corner, diagonal buttress at north-west corner, both with set-offs. West tower stage has large C13 lancet with hoodmould. Above in 2nd stage, a smaller lancet. To west, north and south in the 3rd stage a clock face of 1908. Each elevation has C15 2-light bell-openings with square frames and hoodmoulds. Clerestory, 5 bays with 4-centred arch 3-light windows with concave moulded frames and hoodmoulds. 2 lead downpipes and coped gable. North aisle has heavily moulded plinth and coped parapet. Tower of porch a buttress with set-offs and then a 3-light window with panel tracery and hoodmould with headstops. To east of porch a similar buttress and window followed by a buttress with set-offs and a 3-light window with flowing tracery and hoodmould with headstops. Diagonal buttress with set-offs at north-east corner. East wall has a C17 3-light window in square frame with splayed mullions and jambs. Below this are 2 C19 memorial tablets. North porch, C14, has coped gable with finial, plain tile roof and diagonal buttresses with set-offs. Chamfered doorway with hoodmould and headstops and C20 glazed wooden door. A single light window on east and west walls. Inside, oak benches. North doorway is heavily moulded with plank door. Chancel, east part rebuilt in a C17 coped gable with finial. North wall has from west to east, a single light wooden casement then a lancet with hoodmould and then a priest's doorway with hoodmould and plank door. Then a tall plinth with reset headstone dated 1703. Plinth continues across east wall. 4-light east window with hoodmould. South wall has from east to west, a C13 pointed arch window with Y-tracery and hoodmould. Then a tall lancet, and then a 3-light window with hood- mould and stops. South aisle has coped parapet. 3-light east window with hood- mould and stops. South wall has from east to west, a large 4-light window with hoodmould, then a lead downpipe, then a blocked 4-centred arch doorway, then a 3-light window with hoodmould and then a lead downpipe. Above to west, a C19 flat-topped stack. Interior: 5-bay nave arcades with pointed arches, continuous hoodmould and double-chamfered piers with engaged shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Double chamfered tower arch closed by C20 part-glazed wooden screen and door. Earlier roofline visible above. Low, C13 triple-chamfered chancel arch with triple shafted responds with moulded capitals and bases. Former entry to rood stair to north side. North aisle has a double aumbry in north wall. South aisle has west bay closed by C20 part-glazed wooden screens. War memorial in blocked doorway on south wall. Chancel had slightly squared squint in north wall. Piscina with 2 arched openings and blank quatrefoil above, in south wall. Rare C12 font in north aisle, with large square bowl decorated with beaded inter- secting arches, supported on 4 engaged shafts on an octagonal base, which is not C12. C15 nave roof, repaired in C19. Moulded trusses decorated with brattishing and carved central bosses. Moulded side purlins. Openwork lancets between trusses and ridge beam. Trusses with female figures supporting ridge piece. C15 chancel roof, renewed C19. C15 aisle roofs with brattished trusses and carved bosses. Altar, altar rail, choir stalls, pews, pulpit, lectern, all C19. Various C19/C20 memorial tablets on north wall of chancel and north wall of north aisle, including 5 C19 memorials to Cerrance family in chancel. Fragment of Anglo-Saxon work, possibly a stone jamb, with latticed plaiting in south aisle. Large late C18 wooden board with detail of 'Donations and bequeaths to the poor of Foxton parish', in south aisle. Late C18 board to south of tower arch, 'A table of kindred and affinity' etc. Plaque giving date of restoration, 1893 on north wall next to doorway. Clock c1680, are wooden frame and iron cogs and gears, in south aisle; replaced in 1908. C19/C20 tiled and wooden parquet floors, with flagstones at north entrance. VCH, V, 94-5.

Listing NGR: SP6990789745

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, (1964), 94-5
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/05912/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George Weston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].