THE FORMER LEE AND GRINLING'S MALTINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1360791
Date first listed:
14-Jun-2002
Statutory Address:
THE FORMER LEE AND GRINLING'S MALTINGS, BRIDGE STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360791.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2021 at 06:24:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE FORMER LEE AND GRINLING'S MALTINGS, BRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 92105 35027

Details



607/0/10030 HARROWBY ROAD 14-JUN-02 The former Lee and Grinling's Maltings BRIDGE STREET The former Lee and Grinling's Maltings

GV II



Maltings. 1860. Built for Robert Lee, and eventually owned from 1894 by Lee & Grinling of Grantham. Kilns partially re-built after Second World War bomb damage. Orange brick with white and blue brick decoration and Welsh slate roofs. All windows have segment heads. White brick quoins, and double blue brick plinth Central section has growing floors on three floors, with 3 kilns to the east and a warehouse cross-wing to the west. West cross-wing has 4 floors. South front has 3 basement windows with above a central round headed doorway, above again a projecting taking-in tower supported on stone corbels. This tower has deeply chamfered corners, one segment headed window and above a small round headed window on three sides, the whole topped with a pyramidal slate roof. Either side triangular headed panels with 3 windows each. West front has 5 basement windows, above each floor has 5 segment headed windows set in 5 tall flat headed panels. Central section has 11 windows to north and south with projecting pilasters between. 11 basement windows to each fa?ade and 2 windows above some replaced late C20. 3 bays have doors at ground floor. South front has octagonal staircase at junction with kilns to east. 3 plain brick kilns to the east, each with a pyramidal hipped roof topped with ventilation cowlings. INTERIOR has rebuilt kilns with iron doors to fire chambers. The remainder of the building has iron columns supporting growing floors.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
489552
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].