CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1360851
Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360851 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Mar-2019 at 02:21:50.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Melton (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SK 78572 11379
SK 71 SE SOMERBY MAIN STREET
Pickwell (north side) 10/129 Church of All Saints 1.1.68 I
Parish church. C13 and C14, tower C15, restored, south aisle and south porch rebuilt by R. W. Johnson, 1860. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone ashlar with limestone dressings and lead roofs. West tower, nave with clerestory, north aisle, chancel, south aisle, south porch. West tower, 3 stages, has moulded plinth, 3 chamfered string courses, coved eaves with 4 gargoyles, moulded crenellated parapet with 4 pinnacles, one of them with a weathercock. 2 angle buttresses to west, 2 clasping buttresses to east, with engaged shafts to the top stage. First stage has to west a cusped double lancet with hood mould and beast mask stops. Second stage has to south a single lancet overlaid by a clock. Bell stage has to east, a cupsed double lancet bell opening with hood mould, and on the remaining faces, a taller paired double lancet bell opening with transom and panel tracery and hood mould. North aisle, C14, 4 bays, has plinth and to east a diagonal buttress. North side has 4 buttresses with 3 setoffs. North side has to west a blocked C14 doorway with hood mould, flanked by single Geometrical double lancets. Beyond, to east, a triple lancet with intersecting tracery. West end has a cusped double lancet with flat head. East end has a late C15 untraceried double lancet with flat head. Clerestory, C14, 3 bays, has to north 3 squat double lancets with various Decorated tracery. South side has a central untraceried double lancet flanked on each side by a double lancet with Decorated tracery. All these lancets have hood moulds and stops. Chancel, 3 bays, has chamfered plinth and sill band, and moulded parapet and gable with cross. East end has 2 double gabled angle buttresses with cross finials, and a restored C14 triple lancet with Geometrical tracery, hood mould and mask stops. South side has 3 full height double gabled buttresses with cross finials. Central C14 ogee double lancet with transom, flanked to east by a blocked similar window with a crested memorial tablet, 1840, and to left by a C14 doorway with double filleted moulding. Beyond, to left, a C14 cusped, transomed double lancet, smaller than the central window and set lower. All the openings have hood moulds and mask stops. South aisle, 4 bays, has moulded plinth and sill band, moulded eaves cornice and crenellated parapet. 2 diagonal and 2 intermediate double gabled buttresses each with a cusped niche, all except the eastern buttress topped with pinnacles. South side has to east a double lancet with Y tracery and hood mould. East and west ends have an untraceried Perpendicular triple lancet with 4 centred arched reveals and hood moulds. South porch has sill band, a pair of diagonal buttresses and coped gable. Double chamfered and rebated doorway with octagonal responds and round shafts, with hood mould. Porch interior has stone benches and common rafter roof. South doorway, C13, double chamfered and rebated, with round shafts and hood mould. Interior has double chamfered and rebated tower arch, C13, with hood mould and mask stops, and round responds. C19 traceried screen. Nave north arcade, early C13, 5 bays, has blocked eastern bay, and round piers with moulded bases on square pads. Central pier has stiff leaf capital, the remainder round moulded capitals. Double chamfered and rebated round arches with hood moulds. South arcade, c.1300, 4 bays, has thinner round piers with round bases and capitals, double chamfered and rebated pointed arches with hood moulds and mask stops. C19 low pitched roof with moulded arch braces, wall shafts and mask corbels. North aisle has 3 chamfered and rebated tomb recesses and roof with double arch braces and corbels. South aisle north side has to east a tall blocked pointed opening. East end has to right, a canopied niche. South side has to east, a chamfered piscina and 2 double chamfered tomb recesses. Similar roof to north aisle. Chancel east end has C20 panelled dado and reredos, and to right, a bracket with a mask corbel. South side has to east, a coved round headed piscina and a graduated cove moulded triple sedilia. Low pitched roof with arch braces and corbels with ballflowers, with a more elaborate truss to the west with struts and traceried spandrels. Fittings of 1860 include pine stalls, desks and benches, traceried panelled octagonal oak pulpit and brass lectern. Cll round font with interlaced arcading. Monuments include a scrolled marble cartouche, 1712, large pedimented marble tablet with crest, 1734, marble and slate tablets 1757 and 1795. Single C20 brass.
Listing NGR: SK7857211379
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 189886
Legacy System: LBS
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing