CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360866 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 14:44:18.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Melton (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 70812 18939
ASFORDBY CHURCH LANE
SK71 NW Church of All Saints
Parish church. C14 with older origins. C15 clerestory and tower. Restored 1866-7 - chancel - and 1868-9 - body of church - by G G Scott. Ironstone ashlar with limestone dressings. Swithland slate roof to chancel, lead and copper roofs to body of church. Chancel, vestry, organ chamber, aisled nave, N and S transepts, the latter with W aisle, S porch and W tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light E window with reticulated tracery, 3-light window to SE with intersecting tracery and cusped heads to lights, and 2-light window to SW with 3 quatrefoils to head and ogee-arched heads to lights; all have hood moulds and label stops. Priest's door to S with hollow chamfer, roll and wave mouldings to hood mould. C19 vestry and organ chamber occupy N side of chancel and have Swithland slate roofs; 2-light E window and double-chamfered door to vestry and 2-light N window to organ chamber with chamfered mullion. Nave has 4-window clerestory of 3-light windows with 4- centred heads except for 2-light windows above transepts which have straight heads and round-arched heads to lights. N transept has 3-light N window with 4-centred heads cinquefoil-headed lights and hood mould with label stops. N aisle has 3-light window to N with chamfered mullions and straight head, double-chamfered N door with moulded imposts and 3-light window to W end with straight head and reticulated tracery. S transept has 3-light E window with reticulated tracery and 3-light S window with reticulated tracery, mouchettes and small quatrefoil to head, both with hood moulds. S window of W aisle of transept has 2 cinquefoil-headed lights, pointed trefoil to head in spherical triangle and hood mould. Porch is attached to W aisle of S transept and has lean-to roof. S door has roll moulding flanked by ballflower trails in hollow chamfers and hood mould with label stops. Porch has double-chamfered doorway with polygonal responds and 2- light window to W with straight head and chamfered mullion. S aisle has 2- light window to SW with Y tracery and 2-light W window with heads to lights and vesica piscis to heads with quatrefoil cusping within, both with hood moulds. 3-stage tower has roll-moulded and chamfered doorway with quatrefoiled spandrels in moulded rectangular surround with hood mould. 3- light window above has Perpendicular tracery and hood mould with label stops. Niche above window with ogee-arched head. Middle stage has small 2-light windows to N and W with hood moulds and label stops. 2-light bell- chamber openings with cusped tracery and hood moulds. Battlemented parapet with crocketed pinnacles to angles, gargoyles and frieze below with cusped lozenges alternating with shields in quatrefoils. Recessed crocketed spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes in alternating directions. Tower has very large diagonal offset buttresses. Aisles have clasping buttress projections to W angles topped by octagonal panelled pinnacles, that to N aisle with tiny ogee-headed niche facing W. Nave, aisles, transepts and porch all have battlemented parapets. Clerestory has crocketed angle pinnacles to ballflower to base of parapet on S side . S transept, porch and aisle have similar ballflower ornament to base of parapets. Transept and S transept aisle have clasping butresses to angles, polygonal above string course, and topped with stepped pinnacles bearing foliated crosses facing E. Chancel has plain stone-coped parapet and offset buttresses to angles and between bays to S. Interior: Chancel has reredos panelling incorporating Jacobean carved panels, piscina with cusped head and quatrefoil drain, 3-seat sedilia with many-moulded openings with ogee-arched heads and aumbry above - possible Easter Sepulchre - with sunk quadrant moulding to aumbry and 2 ogee arches to head of recess below. Former 3-light N window of chancel now looking into organ chamber has intersecting tracery. Double-chamfered chancel arch with semicircular responds, moulded capitals and polygonal abaci. Nave has 3-bay arcades with double-chamfered arches; circular piers and semi- circular responds to N with moulded capitals, octagonal piers and polygonal responds to S. Some stiff-leaf ornament to capital of NE respond. Perpendicular roof to nave with angels to principals on carved stone corbels holding musical instruments. N transept has piscina with credence shelf and round-headed arch with chevron ornament, and Perpendicular roof. S transept has piscina with attached shafts and nailhead ornament to head. 2- bay arcade to W aisle of transept with central octagonal pier, and double- chamfered arches. Tower is flanked by W ends of aisles and has double chamfered arches to 3 sides. Main arch between tower to nave has polygonal responds with brattished capitals. Stone vault to tower with circular central opening, diagonal and ridge ribs. C15 Rood screen with broad 1- light divisions, ogee arches and tracery. C15 bench end of which half survives and retains original blue and red coloured decoration. 3 portions of Saxon cross with scrollwork, a dragon on one stone a figure giving blessing on another. Stained-glass windows to chancel S transept and S aisle. That to S transept 1880 by Ward and Hughes. S window of transept aisle 1873 by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake. Monuments: Slate wall monument in vestry to Mary Galloway d.1820 signed by Hull and Pollard. 3 slate wall monuments in S transept with gilded incised circular inscription panels, late C18 that to left signed JS/Frisby, middle one signed Burton and that to right W Cox. Buildings of England Leics 1984 p77.
Listing NGR: SK7081218939
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 77
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.