Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1360956

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360956 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Mar-2019 at 03:12:32.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton (District Authority)

Parish: Sproxton

National Grid Reference: SK 82287 24745


SK 8224 SPROXTON Stonesby 27/77 Church of St Peter 1.1.68


Parish church. Probably Norman origins, early C14 nave, aisles and chancel. Chancel re-faced 1667, late C14 west tower. Restored 1875 by R.W. Johnson. Limestone with some ironstone and lead roofs. 3-stage tower, externally of 5 stages with set-offs at string courses. Clasping buttresses develop into angle buttresses at second external stage. West doorway with 2 orders of continuous shafts below Perpendicular 3-light basket-arched window. 2-light Decorated ringing climber windows. Paired 2-light Perpendicular belfry windows under hoods. Quatrefoil lozenge frieze below crenellated parapet. 4 corner pinnacles. Aisles supported on angle buttresses at corners. 2 and 3-light Y tracery aisle windows, that to east end of south flank replaced by 3-light Perpendicular window. Gabled south porch on diagonal buttresses. Arched moulded entrance below panel with moulded jambs and hood on head stops. Moulded arched north aisle door. 3 2-light ogeed clerestory windows each side under depressed arches. Low side window to west of chancel south priests' door. Door once Norman, now renewed. Above it a plaque: E F 1667. One 4-light Perpendicular window to east of door, under depressed arch. 2-light Y tracery east window. No chancel north openings. Interior. 3 bay arcade on circular piers to north, octagonal to south with, respectively, moulded circular or polygonal bases and capitals. Double chamfered arches. Tall double wave moulded tower arch with circular responds. Double chamfered chancel arch with polygonal responds. Nave roof of canted and moulded tie beams on arched braces dropping on wall posts to corbels. Moulded ridge piece and one pair moulded butt purlins. C12 reworked font: inset engaged columns to stem and intersecting arches to octagonal bowl. Within arches floral motifs. 3 C15 poppyhead bench ends in nave. Aisle roofs of principals and purlins type, the latter moulded to south side. An arched recess at east end of north aisle and a blocked arch in chancel wall indicates former chapel. Chancel roof of canted tie beams on arched braces dropping to wall posts. Base of wall posts have carved heads. 8 poppyheads on C19 benches in chancel.

Listing NGR: SK8228724745


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 190277

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing