This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1361037



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: City of Leicester

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188850

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


In the entry for; LEICESTER LONDON ROAD SK 60 SW 18/310A Church of St James the Greater II the grade shall be amended to read; II* (star)


LONDON ROAD 1. 5304 Church of St James SK 60 SW 18/310A the Greater II 2. Parish church. 1895 - 1901, west front 1911-14. Designed by H L Goddard of Leicester. Brick with ashlar dressings and a Swithland slate roof. Basilica plan, with semi-circular eastern apse. West front has central projecting section, with ashlar base with moulded plinth and rusticated quoins, flanked by ashlar round stair turrets, topped with balustrades. The upper floor has a large round headed window with a moulded arch and imposts, and flanking Corinthian columns supporting an open and broken pediment containing an urn supported on the bracketed keystone. Above a round headed ashlar niche, with flanking composite columns supporting an open segmental pediment, topped by a cross and a cherub's head. This section is topped by an ashlar open pediment, supported on a swagged frieze. Either side are doorways on the ground floor, with double doors and fanlights, within semi-circular headed ashlar door surrounds with moulded arches and imposts. Each is flanked by fluted Corinthian columns supporting an entablature with bucranium and cherub frieze. Above brick towers with angle pilaster buttresses, and a single tall round headed window with an ashlar cherub keystone, each surmounted by an entablature with pulvinated frieze. Above single square culopas with angle pilaster buttresses supporting an entablature with between round arched bell openings, topped with shallow ashlar domes with a circular dormer to each face topped with an open segmental pediment. (A tall central campanile was designed to complete this front, but it was never built.) INTERIOR. 8 bay nave, with narrow side aisle, 3 bay choir with Morning Chapel to south. The nave has 7 Matlock sandstone columns to each arcade, on ashlar bases with ornate terracotta capitals, each individually moulded. The round arches and the rood pilasters are lined with terracotta, the choir has similarly decorated arches, and the semi-circular apse has flanking marble columns with large ornate terracotta capitals. The apse is lit by 5 small round headed windows with terracotta figures of the apostles between, below are frescoes painted in c1935 by the architect's daughter, Miss Diana Goddard, and above the vault is painted with constellations. The reredos was also added c.1935. The walls of the aisles are decorated with blind arches each containing an oval window with figurative terracotta surround, and terracotta corbels between which support the roof which is panelled with a central barrel vault. The choir is raised above the rest of the church with a glazed terracotta balustrade with angel balusters. The pulpit is supported on glazed terracotta columns and smothered in similar decoration.

SOURCES "The Building of St James the Greater, Leicester" by Alan McWhirr. Trans of the Leics Archeological and Historical Society Vol. LX 1988

Listing NGR: SK6002503300

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions of the Leicestershire Archaeological and Historical Society' in Transactions of the Leicestershire Archaeological and Historical Society, , Vol. 60, (1988), 68-77

National Grid Reference: SK 60025 03300


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361037 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2017 at 01:59:55.

End of official listing