Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1361065

Date first listed: 07-Oct-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 05-May-1994



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361065 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Mar-2019 at 05:28:59.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Blaby (District Authority)

Parish: Aston Flamville

National Grid Reference: SP 46322 92748


SP 49 SE 3/2 7.10.57

ASTON FLAMVILLE LYCHGATE LANE (east side) (Known locally as Burbage Lane) Church of St. Peter


Parish church. C11, C13. Nave, porch and tower rebuilt in 1873 to the designs of William Smith at the charge of Sir J. W. C. Hartopp. Random granite rubble with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, south porch. Buttressed west tower, 3 stages, has chamfered and moulded plinth, 2 string courses, moulded eaves band with gargoyles and crenellated parapet with pinnacles. First stage has to west a cusped Decorated double lancet with hood mould. Second stage has to west a clock, and to north and south a single lancet. Third stage has on each side a cusped double lancet bell opening with hood mould. Nave, 3 bays, has on each side 3 buttresses. Chamfered plinth, moulded sill band, coped gable with finial. North side has a re-set central C11 window, flanked to left by an intersecting triple lancet and to. right by a Decorated double lancet, both with hood moulds. South side has to the east of the porch, 2 similar lancets, and to the west, a Decorated single lancet, all with hood moulds. Chancel, 2 bays, has moulded sill band, chamfered eaves and coped gable with finial. East end has a C19 triple lancet with intersecting tracery and hood mould. South side has to west a C13 chamfered lancet and to east a C19 triple lancet with intersecting tracery and hood mould. South porch has chamfered sill band, coved eaves with bosses, and coped gable with kneelers and finial. Double chamfered and rebated south doorway with shafts with crocketed capitals. Pair of C19 traceried wooden gates. In each side, a single shouldered lancet. Interior has common rafter roof and doorway with filleted roll mould and hood mould. Grained close boarded door. Double chamfered and rebated tower arch has facetted conical imposts. Nave has a south east window with stained glass, 1864, and arch braced roof with collars and spine beam. Chancel has a C19 double rebated arch with painted text, and half-round responds. North west window has stained glass, 1909. East end has an oak panelled dado, 1957, and a stained glass window by Hardman, 1868. South side has to east a C13 filleted roll moulded piscina, and to west, a stained glass window, 1846. C19 king post roof with struts and traceried spandrels. Fittings include a square alabaster font, 1864, on multiple shafts, with biblical scenes in relief on each side, and figures in niches at each corner. Early C18 altar table with shaped apron, early C18 altar rail with turned newels, C19 traceried octagonal oak pulpit and panelled stalls and benches. Memorials include alabaster chest tomb with shield panels and incised slab lid, to Sir William Turville, 1552. Kneeling male figure, alabaster, early C17. Pedimented marble wall monument with figure in roundel and inscribed panel with reeded surround, to members of the Cradock- Hartopp family, 1767. Wall monument in the form of a Gothic niche, marble, 1833. Draped Classical marble and slate tablet, by Male and Son, 1843. 4 brasses, C19 and C20.

Listing NGR: SP4632292748


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 188992

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing