CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1361232

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1965

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361232 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Mar-2019 at 05:32:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire (District Authority)

Parish: Oakthorpe and Donisthorpe

National Grid Reference: SK 31486 13951

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/06/2011

SK 31 SW 4/48

OAKTHORPE AND DONISTHORPE DONISTHORPE CHURCH STREET (south side) Church of St. John the Evangelist

(Formerly listed as Church of St. John the Baptist)

24.11.65 GV II

Church of 1838. Fine ashlar blocks patterned by tool marks and slate roof. 'Lancet' style: W tower of 3 stages; broad nave of 6 windows; shallow altar chapel. Buttresses between hooded lancets and angle buttresses overall (all stepped). Those on nave and chapel join to form ogee turret heads with foliage finials: finials missing from chapel. W door with drop arch, lancet over, various slits, lancet bell-openings and battlements. Interior: plastered walls and roof: painted trusses with some braces forming drop and 4-centred arches. Probably contemporary W gallery with arcaded front and font. Original box pews to either side in nave. Central open pews and choir stalls slightly later. Mid C19 pulpit enlarged 1897. Last bay of nave araised chancel leading to wide drop arch and altar chapel. E 3 lancet windows divided by 2 columns. Stained glass c1920 by Jones and Willis. Date: 1938 plaque refers to centenary.

Listing NGR: SK3148613951

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 187940

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing