CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREATER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1361341

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1989

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREATER, OAKS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREATER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361341 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Mar-2019 at 04:58:10.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREATER, OAKS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire (District Authority)

Parish: Charley

National Grid Reference: SK 47323 16337

Details

CHARLEY OAKS ROAD iiK 41 NE (Oaks in Charnwood) 7/108 Church of St James the Greater - II

Parish church. 1883 rebuilding of 1815 church. By Ewan Christian. Charnwood granite rubble with Swithland slate roofs. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel, north vestry. In simple Decorated style with traceried window, coped gables, some off-set buttresses, chamfered plinth and moulded eaves. West tower is of 2 stages and has battlemented parapet with fleuron string and corner gargoyles. Pyramid roof. 2-light arched openings to bell-chamber, similar west window. Tall slit windows to upper part of lower stage. Round stair turret in north angle between tower and nave. Cusped lancet in west end of nave to south of tower. 4-bay nave has rectangular windows with cusped tracery and hoodmoulds mostly 2-light but 3-light in east bay. South door in moulded arch. Gabled south porch with similar arch. Chancel has arched windows with cusped tracery and hoodmoulds, single and 2-light to south, 3-light to east. Caernarvon arch over south door. Single light and lean-to vestry to north. Interior: double chamfered tower arch; moulded chancel arch on corbels; crown-post roof to nave; barrel ribs to chancel roof. Fittings are mostly late C19 and C20 but also include an early C19 octagonal stone font and 6 lances from the Battle of Waterloo. Original church was consecrated on the same day as the Battle, and a triangular stone tablet leaning against south wall of tower is inscribed 'Erected 1815'.

Listing NGR: SK4732316337

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 358155

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing